Chapter 18

this update is somewhat short and kinda late and I have no excuse except that school is a bitch I’m sorry bYE

Chapter 18 - My Only One

When I wake up in the morning, I almost expect Vic not to be next to me, since that happens so often. But sure enough, he’s here, his chest against my back, his arm around my waist, his face buried in my neck. With my eyes still closed, I smile to myself when I hear his soft snoring next to my ear. Finally, he’s actually sleeping.

I shift slightly, trying to throw off some of the covers. Vic makes a groggy noise, and then he shifts, too, before settling back down and unconsciously adjusting his hold on me. He sighs into my hair.

I giggle quietly. “God, I love you,” I whisper automatically. Then I realize what I just said.

My heart starts beating faster. Did I really just say that, without even thinking about it? Did it really just come out of my mouth like it was always meant to pass my lips, like I was always meant to say that to him with absolute certainty?

Vic giggles. “I love you, too, darling,” he replies, still sounding half-asleep.

I can’t believe this. I must be hearing things.

"No, you don’t," I say, taking his hand and playing with his fingers. "You’re barely awake. You’re not thinking straight."

"You’re right. I’m not thinking straight. I’m thinking gay.”

I turn around and look up at him. I find that he’s smiling and that his eyes are now wide open. For a moment, we just stare at each other, and then we both laugh.

"Okay, that was good," I say, turning serious again. "But really…did you mean it?"

He nods, suddenly solemn. “Of course I did,” he says, kissing me on the forehead. After a moment of hesitation, he adds, “Did you?”

I’m not really sure. Did I mean it? Did I mean to let those crazy, dangerous words slip out?

I look into his eyes, and that’s when the answer becomes obvious: Of course I meant it.

"Yes," I breathe, feeling scared out of my mind at the thought. I love him. I love him.

"It’s okay," he says, kissing me again, this time on the lips. "I need to relearn what that feels like, too."

I end up falling back asleep in his arms, and when I wake up again, he’s no longer with me. I figure he’s just downstairs, so after a few minutes of letting myself wake up, I head down there. To my surprise, though, he doesn’t seem to be anywhere on the first floor.

"Hey, Jaime, have you seen Vic?" I ask as I walk back into the living room.

Jaime looks up from where he’d fallen asleep on the couch with his book still in his hands. “Uh, yeah,” he says, rubbing his eyes and sitting up. “I think I heard him walk out of here, like, twenty minutes ago. Somewhere around there.”

"Didn’t say where he was headed?"

He shakes his head. “I was still half-asleep, so he probably thought I wouldn’t really notice. He might be running a quick errand.” He smirks. “I mean, he is the one who buys the groceries, so maybe he’s finally gotten off his ass and gone to do that.”

"Wouldn’t he have told somebody, though?"

Jaime narrows his eyes, nodding. “Yeah, actually, he normally does. Especially since…” He trails off. “Since the thing that he did. He’d usually tell someone so we wouldn’t freak out.”