Compromise

When Blake got on the plane he was fuming mad. How dare she suggest he leave Richie with her? He didn't even know her all that well. Holding Richie, who was asleep on his chest, the whole flight home turned his anger to sadness and maybe even fear. He was sad because of the situation. He was sad because his biological nephew is being raised by a stranger. Richie is her son and he doesn't even know her. This all would have been easier if big Richie was still alive then it would have been perfect. Everyone would live in one place and they could know both kids. The kids might even grow up as best friends. Once they unload the plane and get their luggage Blake heads for the car. He securely straps Richie into his car seat and places a kiss on the little boys head. By the time they leave the parking lot Richie is already off in dreamland.

On the two hour drive home, Blake can't help but feel like he left something or someone in California. He thinks to Jupiter and how much he looked like his dad. He had to leave to protect Richie but he feels like he let his brother down. Instead of going home Blake takes Richie to his moms house.

"Blake son, you aren't supposed to be home for a few more days. What happened?" Dot asked concerned

"A lot went on and I promise to tell you but I need to talk to Richie first. I don't know what to do. He always knew what to do." Blake says as a tear slides down his cheek before disappearing into his beard. "Can you watch him?"

"Of course Blake. You know I'm here for you to right?"

"Yeah mom thanks. I just need to talk to Richie."

"Ok baby boy. I love you. Tell Richie I love him to."

"Always mom. I love you to. I'll be back later."

And with that he was off and on his way to his brothers grave. When Richie was alive he was always the one Blake went to. He always knew the right way to handle things and gave the best advice. He got Blake out of a lot of trouble when they were younger. It wasn't fair he was taken so young just when he was finally experiencing the life he had dreamed of.

Blake pulled up in front of his brothers headstone. He walked up to it, seeing the fresh flowers on it. His mom came and talked to Richie once a week too always changing out the flowers.

"Richie you aren't going to believe what has happened in the last few weeks. Little Richie isn't your biological son. The hospital switched the babies by accident. I met your biological son and he looks just like you. He lives in California with his mom. I took Richie out to meet her and Jupiter, yes I know crazy name. It was going so well until she wanted to keep Richie too. I was so pissed off that she would even suggest that. Who does she think she is? I took little Richie and we left. We took the first flight out of that damn place. Now I feel like a left something there and all I can think about is Jupiter. He is so sweet and smart. I don't know what to do. I'm so lost. This is where I could really use your advice."

Blake sits down on the grass and looks at his brothers headstone. 'Beloved husband, father, son, and brother' his stone read. Blake gets hung on the word 'father'. Richie is Jupiter's father regardless of who is raising him. Blake knows for a fact that Richie would never walk away from him. He would do whatever it took to be in his sons life, in one way or another. This is when the realization hits him that he can't walk away either. He has to be apart of that little boys life, even if he can't stand his mother.

"You always know what to do don't you Richie. Thanks man. I really miss you and I love you." Blake said before heading back to his truck.

Now he has to swallow that fact that he has to call Gwen and apologize for the way he reacted, even though if he could do it again he would do the same thing. He drives back to his ranch. Before he calls Gwen he places a call to his mom to let her know he is ok and to ask her to keep Richie for the night. He needed to call Gwen and he didn't want to have to try and keep up with the little speed demon while he is on the phone.
..............................................................
When Blake left Gwen felt like her heart was literally ripped from her chest. It didn't matter to her that she hadn't raised that little boy. He was still her son. Now she has lost all hope of being apart of his life without involving the legal system.
If she went after custody of Richie, she would be risking her life with Jupiter. Was she willing to lose one son to gain the other? No. If she won custody of Richie she would be almost guaranteed to lose Jupiter. The thought of losing him had her pulling him into bed with her. They spent the day in bed watching tv and movies. They only got out of bed to change the movie or to get Jupiter some food.