Chapter 10- The Reason

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." –Dalai Lama

     My ringtone brings me back to reality. I search for my phone on the nightstand and find it, all with my eyes still closed. I flip it open and squint at the brightness, looking at the the caller ID. Makoto... I close it and put it back. I'm awake, chill. I spend a few more seconds ready to fall back asleep, but before any images of a dream show up the tune of my cellphone forces me back up. I sit up and answer it. "What...?" I tiredly ask.

    "Haru's gonna swim in the relay!"

    "What?!" I'm wide awake now. "Are you serious?!"

    "Dead serious! Get ready!"

    "Yeah!" I hang up and get ready. My bag is still the same from yesterday so it only takes me less than 2 minutes. "Setsuna!" I shriek while running to the kitchen and grabbing a quick breakfast.

    "Are you being kidnapped!?" She yells from her room. She's already awake?

    "Haruka's swimming in the relay!"

    "Huh?!" There's the slide of a door flying open and then rapid footsteps that stop when she appears in the kitchen. "Seriously?!" I nod in response and she flys back to her room.

    ~~~

    Instead of waiting for them to show up at the door, I decided to just leave the house with Setsuna and jog up the steps to meet them halfway. Surly enough, they're already walking down. "Yo!"

    "Excited?" Makoto asks.

    "Of course!"

    "Good morning," Setsuna greets. "Nanase-san and...uh--"

    "Ta--" he begins.

    "--Wait don't tell me!" I mentally sigh. "Takasu? No...Takahashi?" I can't surpress my laugh. "Hey!"

    "Where did you get that?!" I tease.

    We continue walking down the steps. "Is 'Makoto-san' okay?" Setsuna nervously asks.

    "Of course, Setsuna-chan ^^"

    "You don't have to call me that..." What's with that schoolgirl tone? This isn't a romantic moment whatsoever!

    "Yeah," I interrupt. "Nagisa beat you to it." ("Heh!?") "You might as well call her Little Amaya!"

    "Let's not call her that!"

    A white kitten meets us and clings to Makoto.

    "Hey there little guy." He says and kneels down to play with it.

    "Aw! Is it yours?" Setsuna asks.

    "I think he's a stray, but I take care of him a lot."

    "Let's not be late." Haruka says. He seems normal enough. He hasn't spoken until now.

    "Right," Makoto agrees.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    And we're back in the parking lot, just like we were yesterday. "Gou!" I say and pick up the pace.

    "Hey!" We hug. "Are you gonna win that IM for us?"

    "I don't know, we'll see." I really don't care.