Extra

"So, you plan to enter the world of swimming after all?" Amakata-sensei repeats, looking at my paper.

    "Yes, ma'am." I confidently say.

    "I'm glad you have made your choice! And early too, lots of students wait until their third-year." She smiles brightly. "Now, I don't mean to rain on the parade, but I have to become serious now."

    "Okay..." Nervousness sets in; I fix my white polkadot, green bow-tie and gulp.

    "Life happens, things happen, and let's say something happens - God forbid anything extreme were to happen to you - but something happens. You can no longer pursue the swimming career. You need to have other options just in case...the unthinkable were to happen. Anything, if you were banned, or if -- I highly doubt this possibility -- your talent just wasn't enough, or if you were to be injured to the point of no return..." The last part sends ice through my veins and chills all across my skin, causing me to tense up.

    I nod. "U-Understood."

    "Very good." She stands up from the desk, as I do from mine. I smooth out my school skirt and follow her to the door. "Now, to make it to Nationals!" Her cheery voice and all-smile attitude is back. "This is your last chance, you're going to have to work harder than you ever had. I suggest lots of training during the winter."

    "How-How am I supposed to do that?"

    "You can figure that out!"

    I sweatdrop. "Of course..."

    Life, you b*tch. The instant I think that I got out of deciding my future and all the stress was gone, it comes right back. Hmph, what ever. That's only if...yeah...

    ~~~

    "Ah, there you guys are!" I say when I see the group eating on the school roof.

    "We always eat lunch here now." Nagisa says with a mouthful of bread.

    "Yeah, yeah." I sit down with them in the shade.

    "Where were you?" Haruka asks, picking up grilled mackerel with his chopsticks.

    "Speaking with Amakata-sensei. Sounds like I'll be training myself all throughout winter to prepare for prefecturals."

    "That's the spirit, Amaya!" Makoto says. "You're all fired up now, huh?"

    "I sure am!"

    "Can we train with you?" Rei asks.

    "If you pay for it yourself."

    "Nevermind."

    "Uh-huh."

    "We better train as much as we can right now. Winter is approaching...it's been cooling down." Makoto mentions.

    I watch as a tall tree nearby loses a few leaves in the wind that follows. That's right...soon the water will get too cold and we'll have to find other methods to stay in shape for fall and winter. Another thought comes in to mind. "Oh, I wanted to ask you."

    "Me?" Makoto asks.

    "You're the Captain, right? I wanted to ask if Setsuna might as well start training with us now before the water gets too cold."

    "Setsuna-chan?" he repeats, confused. "But it's the middle of the school year..."

    "Well...she's more like a guest, not here as a full - fledged member. That's not against the rules, is it?" A grin appears on his face.

    "I guess you're right."

    "Oh! Se-chan is gonna start swimming with us?" Nagisa asks excitedly.

    "Yup! I think she's more excited about this than all of us combined."

    "Of course she is." Gou says. "She goes on and on about it all the time."

    "Huh!? Since when were you two bff's!?!"

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "I'm home!"

    "Amaya." A familiar voice says, and I gasp.

    "Hayato!? You're home?!"

    "Shh."

    The happiness that just built up in me vanishes. "What?" I ask.

    "C'mere." He leads me to the kitchen and we kneel at the dining table. "You read the letter from...Dad, right?" The very mention of that word makes my anger instantly shoot up.

    "What? This is about him? Wait, you were in my room?"

    "Did. You. Read. It?"

    I sigh. "No." He passes a paper over to me, and I grab it with irritation.

    Hayato, my son. Amaya, Setsuna.

    It's been so long since you've sent me letters. What happened? Anyways, I just want to say that I love and miss you guys. I know I no longer have custody of you guys, but, I want to see you three. My sentence is almost over: I'll be out of here soon and I'll be waiting for you guys.

    ~Love, Dad

    My heart drops, and my hands clentch into fists and ruin the paper. Nothing but fear runs through me. "Amaya..." Hayato calmly begins.

    "That...bastard...he's......they're letting him out of prison!?"

    "Shhh!!"

    "Oh my God!" I crumble the paper and chuck it across the room. I grab my hair and bring my forehead to the table. "This can't be happening...."

    "It was a 6 year sentence."

    "It should be more considering what he almost did." I growl out.

    "Look, we just have to prepare ourselves. If we meet him, make it clear that we want nothing to do with him." I feel his hand on the back of my head and my fingers relax. "Okay?"

    "Yeah...Did you talk to Setsuna about this?"

    "Yeah."

    I quickly stand up and turn around. "I'm going to my room." I mutter quickly and quietly before my voice gives up on me.

    "Okay." Hayato knows what's about to happen.

    I run to my room, open the door, slam it, grab a pillow and scream into it until my throat is bone dry. Halfway through the session, I began crying. This isn't happening this isn't happening this isn't happening this isn't happening...I'm dreaming...this is a dream...this is a dream.........................

    So, do you finally have an idea why I never talk about my parents?

○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~

    I'll continue this when Eternal Summer is finished! Thank you all, those who have read my story! I hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! See you next time!

~Azari

(P.S. Did you really think I was going to write a story without making it dark in any way? >:D Muwahahaha)