Chapter 11- The Past

"People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing.  That’s why we recommend it daily." –Zig Ziglar

    I walk along the poolside, heading for the lockerroom. Practice is a bit earlier today but it's great to get all the training we can. The heat is already beating down, Haruka as usual is already swimming around underwater and the other boys' chat is easily hearable.

    "Rei-chan, can I try your goggles for today?"

    "No. I need them, these are percript - hey!"

    "-Oh, is that why everything's so blurry?"

    "Nagisa-kun!"

    "Hahaha~!"

    ~~~

    "Ugh..." I groan while struggling to get the straps of the suit over my right shoulder. "This thing gets tighter everytime I put it on..." I hiss to myself as I finally get the second strap on. I take a break and then align the straps with the tanlines on my shoulders, and soon enough the suit becomes comfortable. I brush my hair back and tie it into a high ponytail, and then make it into a bun. I put on my first cap and then my goggles over it and apply the second cap over the goggle straps. I quickly apply the sunscreen and grab my towel, jogging out of the room.

    The burning ground scorches my feet on contact and it motivates me to run right to the pool and dive right in. Oh, forgot my goggles. I resurface and hear more splashes. I place my goggles over my eyes and lightly press them in so they don't slide. "Ah, the water is so cool today~" Nagisa says a few lanes away.

    "Um hm." I agree.

    "Anyone know where Gou-chan is?" Makoto asks from the lane right next to me.

    I look around and realize that she's nowhere to be found. "No." I say.

    "I don't see her either." Rei mentions.

    I swim to the wall and set myself up. "Maybe we should just start." Nagisa has already begun the warm up.

    "Yeah." Makoto says and I go under the water and take off. Maybe I should have stretched? Too late now.

    I break out of the water with an easy freestyle, and continue to do that until something was different while I took a break. I like to de-fog my goggles by stretching them from my eyes and submerging myself in the water. It's too quiet... I noted while under the water for a few seconds. I pop back up and remove the water dripping down my eyes to see that they've decided to start actually practicing the relay. Should I do a few 100's, then? I think while swimming over to the other side of the pool, where the starting blocks are. Oh yeah, I didn't see Gou either. I think while swimming. I breathe. Why is she so late? She~~'s - I prolong the word in my thought while breathing again - usually the first one here.

    I reach out for the wall and then bring myself out from under the water right after. As the water drips off from my hair and skin while I exit the pool, I hear bits of the conversation they boys were having. "Who should go first?" Nagisa asks.

    "Maybe we should practice with exchanges." Makoto suggests.

    "I'll go first." Haruka says.

    "Should I set you guys off?" I ask.

    "Sure." Makoto answers. Just as Haruka readies himself to dive, another voice interrupts.