Chapter Two

Ember

"Sooo" Ember drew out "what are we doing here for?" gravel crunch underneath her feet as they moved forward. She loved the sound of gravel crunching or the sound of snow and leaves, it was one of her favorite things to do.

"We're getting some more food, we've got guest coming over. I heard the Ghouls are moving east and are trying to take over Sython's land, we can't risk them coming any closer to us so we are making some deals" Ember frowned at what her sister said. "Deals with who? The rebellion hasn't made any deals in over seventy years" but Amber didn't answer, she had a far away look of her face as her hands clenched Jacks even tighter.

Ember sighed but dropped the topic. That must mean they are submitting to whoever they're making the deal with. Whatever they want, they get. These Ghouls really are scaring everyone.

Finally they made it to a rundown grocery store. Isles were littered with paper, dirt and animal feces but everything was mostly free. Whatever you want you have to trade in for something of value or that your not using. People don't use money now in days more like the stuff you own counts for money. Like shoes, that's around fifty to three hundred dollars depending on the condition and what it's  made for. Style, durability or brand. Durability's goes for hundreds of dollars.

Clothes can go from two dollars to thirty, maybe over. Pens and pencils can count for change and so on so forth. But there are some people who still use money as a source to bargain with. Ember does it most of the time when she doesn't want to trade in her personal items. Like today, a guy named Joey always works on Tuesday and Thursday for counts. He was a dragon human hybrid. Long bat like wings a shade lighter than pale blue, strong broad shoulders with chopped blackish brown hair.

He stood at 6'6 with red horns sticking out from beneath the hair on the front of his head and small fangs poked out from his gums. He smiled brightly at Ember "well if it isn't my favorite gold bringer" Ember smiled at him back, they had a deal. Ember brings him gold and shiny things and he gives her whatever she needs in return from his stock. "Good morning Ryoto!" He moved closer to her from behind the counter and leaned closer, his taunt muscles bulging from beneath his opened no sleeve leather shirt.

"And what have you brought me today?" She held up a bag filled with gold coins, all for him. "My my! These are very rare" he hummed taking out each piece with delicate hands though his were calloused and hardened.

"Only the best for you, now what do you have for me" Ryoto stopped what he was doing and stiffened just for a moment. He then smiled brightly once more and relaxed "I just got a new shipment of fairy berries! They told me these should help with any hard spell and that if you eat a batch once or twice a month for a year that you'd gain unbelievable power. Now I don't believe in that stuff but you'd take to it with ease" he moved to the back, pushing and tugging on large objects tell he got to Embers.

He held up the bag of purple blueberry like fruits. They were small, round and delicious when ripe and they weren't cheap to come by. Only chosen people got fairy berries and because of their rarity, people fought tooth and nail for one. Just for a taste, not even the power that comes with it.

It is said the berries are harvest for over six thousand years before a batch is ready, then you'd have to wait six more thousand years for another batch. A group of fairies are assigned to the berries for those years and they spend their day watering, watching and nursing the sweet fruits till their ripe. When they are ripe the fairies die off and their powder is transferred into the berries that creates its extra sweetness.

Ember held out her hand and poured the bag of berries in it, she smiled at the glowing purple berries that left purple powder stains in her hand. Fairy dust. She picked the largest and stuck it in her mouth and true to their myth, it was the sweetest thing she's eaten in a long time. "Thanks Ryoto, I'm going to look around" he nodded and watched her leave with doubtful eyes.

Ember hand missed the look he gave her but decided to ignore it. Everyone was acting weird today but maybe it was because of the full moon, werewolves were on edge about new born shifters and finding their mates.

Ember made her way through each isle and stopped when she found herbs and foods she needed to preform her potions and spells. Finally she found the isle she had been looking for and set her bag down.

—————————————

Author's Note:

How'd you like the chapter? Thoughts??

Don't forget to Vote, if you like. Comment, if you have an opinion, and Follow for more updates and books!!!!

Published: May 29th 2018

- Remember updates come once every one or two weeks.