Chapter Three

Ember

Ember got all that she needed from the rundown store and soon enough Amber and Jack were walking towards her hand in hand. "What did you get?" Ember shrugged "herbs" she didn't tell Amber about her cheat sheet berries. Something was going on with everyone and she didn't want to reveal to much unless she was in a sticky situation.

Amber frowned at her sister but turned around and decided to ignore it. She wondered if Ember had found out hers and the rebellions plan but she chuckled bitterly at that. Ember was to dumb and shy to actually snoop around.

Ambers hands tightened around Jack's and she gave him a hesitate smile. He and everyone else in this market and at the rebellion knew what would happen tomorrow afternoon to Ember. They didn't want it to happen but for protection in the future from any goblins or ghouls, then they'd do it. They had to.

When they reached the four door Jeep Wrangler Amber and Jack sit up front. Jack in the drivers seat while Amber sat in the passengers side. Ember climbed into the back with struggle but managed to get in after a couple of minutes. Next thing she knew, the car was starting up and heading down to the rebellions warehouse.

Emended sighed looking at the bags Amber and Jack got. Most of them were filled with meat but her eyes soon caught one of the only bags that didn't have red flesh in it and she grabbed it. Without a thought Ember tore open the bag of gummy bears and began to stuff them in her mouth, she heard a chuckle and glanced at her sister who smiled brightly. "I knew you'd want them, saw them buried underneath a bunch of potatoes and stuffed them in my bag. I think someone was trying to hide it for when they get something to trade it with" she shrugged and Ember followed along.

Gummy bears or any type of candy is rare now in days. It cost three hundred dollars, the same amount as a pair of durable shoes, chocolate bars are even more. A thousand at the least and three thousand at the most. You could trade money in to get them at some markets but they are going to be expired and rotten but they still eat it. Everyone still eats it.

Everyone wants a chance to have a little sweetness in the bitter world they live in.

Same goes for the berries.

————————————————

When they got back to the compound they made their way into the rebellion's main warehouse. It's were mostly everyone in the compound live but there were seven much smaller houses that hold around one hundred people each. All of which are witches, warlocks and hybrids.

Ember walked through the compound and shied away from the people who stopped to stare at her. Then the whispers came. Ember whimpered silently. Not many people liked her at the compound and she honestly didn't know why, maybe it was because she was Ambers little sister. She was her other half, the much quieter and weaker one. She always needed help and couldn't defend herself, maybe that was why but she never believed.

Their hatred for her runs much deeper than being someone weak sister, it was like they were jealous but shouldn't be. Ember wasn't getting what she wanted, she has never gotten what she wanted.

Sighing Ember walked through the woods and stopped at a small round opening with a broken tree log laying on top of the overgrown grass. She sat on it and rubbed her arms with her hands, she felt shivers run up and down her body and felt like something was prodding her as if she was being watched. It didn't matter, she could defend herself unlike what others thought. She was actually quite powerful but hadn't shown it anymore but Amber and Jack and that was eight years away.

They don't know her power has grown.
And she didn't want them to know, it was out of control.

Little by little the minutes ticked by along with the wind and soon enough it was night fall. Ember stood up and made her way to the second main warehouse where dinner will be served. She entered and immediately got in line after grabbing a plate, next she waited until she got to the buffet like dinner. She grabbed what she wanted: baked chicken, mash potatoes with ranch and garlic and corn.

After she had gotten what she wanted Ember walked over to the lone table no one where to. She sat down and began to eat in peace.

———————————

Author's Note:

What is this the third chapter? Fourth? Well anyways, another chapter done and over with!

Vote if you like, Comment if you want and Follow for more updates and books!

Published: Thursday, June 8th 2018

Edited: