Door Two: Cherry

INDIRA WAS FAR from being titled as a morning person, unlike Natasha who was up at the crack of dawn every morning out of pure habit.

In a heap of her own blankets, and a nest full of curly hair, Indira groaned as her alarm rang, reminding her that she agreed to take the morning shift for Juniper. She groaned yet again when she reached for the vibrating phone on the bedside stand.

She snoozed it, hoping to catch just a few more winks of sleep, but Natasha burst through the door with a bowl of oatmeal she just made.

"Hey Deeds, don't you have work today?" Natasha asked while leaning against the wooden threshold. At the very beginning, Indira used to hate when Natasha called her that silly nickname, and she would correct her almost every single time, but after three years of living together, she got used to it.

Indira unnecessarily emphasized her groan while rolling over to face plant the pillow.

"Listen, do you want breakfast or not?" She raised her pierced eyebrow.

Indira slowly lifted her head with a scowl on her face and Natasha pushed herself off the threshold while saying "That's what I thought" with a playful smirk on her lips. She was lucky to have her roommate to wake her up in the mornings that she needed to be up or else she would have been fired a long time ago. Unlike her roommate, Indira needed more time to get ready, that meant taming her hair and applying a bit of makeup so she wouldn't look like so much of a zombie for work.

Twenty minutes later and both girls were sitting at their little dining room set eating their bowl of cinnamon oatmeal. For an apartment in Boston, it wasn't too bad of a living space. Then again, these apartments were five years brand new, which were admittedly much better looking than the ones on the other side of town. Both girls each had their own small room, granted, both were minimalists, so the rooms had just enough space. One bathroom, and a moderately sized area for the kitchen, dining room, and living room occupied the rest of the space.

While sitting in the polished faux wooden dining chair, it was then when she noticed that Natasha was wearing her barista uniform.

"I didn't know you were going in today?" Indira started with a mouthful of the creamy breakfast.

"I didn't know either, but someone texted me an hour ago for a cover," Natasha explained lightly. Indira nodded only.

Not long after she moved in with Natasha, they quickly became friends. Like any other, there was a bit of awkward tension considering they were two strangers living together with the addition of a small age difference. Indira was only nineteen when she moved in with Natasha who was twenty-one and already a junior in college. Luckily, those menial problems never got in between them, and within three years they got along quite well. One of their many things in common was that they worked all day behind cashiers—as if that was something to brag about.

⟁ ⟁

Indira popped out of her car with her iced coffee in one hand and the keys in the other, ready to face yet another hectic morning. When she entered through the back door, she kindly greeted the bus boys in the back and then the cooks up front. They were always there before the store opened for obvious reasons, and Indira found herself feeling guilty that she felt relieved she didn't have to come earlier than she needed to. 11 to 4, she reminded herself. She only needed to be there for the morning then Juniper would come and take care of the night shift.

It was five minutes before 11am and there already seemed to be a line outside of the locked door. With a sip of her sugary and creamy coffee, she took a deep breath and started setting up the registers for the lunch rush. Even though Saturdays were considerably slower than Fridays, the lunch hours sometimes were super busy.