Door Thirty-Three: The Fates

I COULDN'T FALL asleep. Not because I was troubled with thoughts like I usually am, but because she was here, sleeping against my chest as if she's done it a million times before. There was no way that I could just shut my eyes and not take in the moment that has been so generously placed before me. A song that I had written without meaning, now gained its purpose when she appeared in my life, and now she loves when I sing it to her.

I gaze down at her and pull her tighter into me even though I'm sweating like a swine with this damned blanket. But I can't lie to myself I didn't start placing it on the couch until she started frequently coming over, knowing how cold she would be every single time.

Her words from less than an hour ago resound in my mind, the pain that accompanied each and every word made my blood boil. Hearing how much she had to suffer when she was younger just brings me back to a place of my own where anger strikes red. Seeing her cry by the hands of a memory traced back more than ten years ago is enough to weaken my heart. It absolutely tears me to pieces. When she's with me, all I want her to be is happy. If she's happy then so am I, and God only knows why she's the only one to make me feel so. And I know I shouldn't be the one to talk about happiness since I've been shutting down any sliver of it for the past two years, but fuck...she's been my only hope to see myself out of this damned hole I dug myself in. She is my only way out. Indira is the light at the end of my tunnel.

I look down at her, and before I know it, my lips part to sing to her, even though I knew she would not hear me.

"Sweet creature
We're running through the garden
Oh, where nothing bothered us..."

I had written that when I had my photo shoot at that garden and for a brief moment we were so happy, playfully bantering, and even flirting. We didn't even know what we were doing then.

"But we're still young
I always think about you and how we don't speak enough..."

And it's true, we don't speak enough. It always seems to be about family or industry issues and not something as simple as what her favorite color is, or what her her pet peeve is. I've never wanted to get to know a person more than I have now with her.

"And oh we started
Two hearts in one home..."

I stopped when Indira shifted in her sleep, a light frown creased in her brow. I forgot that I'd been holding her so tight that she wasn't able to move. Once I release my grip, she stops, and then I continue humming the rest of the unfinished song.

I don't realize how fast the time has gone until light begins to bleed through the shades, letting me know that it's close to seven in the morning. Thanks to the summer season, the sun is up earlier than I'd like it to be, and if I didn't have things to do today, I would've stayed with her until she awakened.

I look at her again, her face is nearly submerged under the blanket, laying completely still as she slowly breathes. My fingertips gently caress the side of her face until they reach the outline of her full lips.

A vibration from my pocket pulls me out of my thoughts, and I am quick to grab answer it before Indira awakes. I thought it was a call at first, but it was just Misha sending me four different messages at once. They were all about Jansen and how he needed me back to do some re-shoots for his movie. Sighing, I text him back, confirming that I am going to meet him in an hour when the chauffeur arrives. I would have left way sooner, but this...this moment right here, I know I couldn't ask for again if life permitted me. I'm scared that maybe I won't get to have this for long, and I have no idea why. Doubt has always crept into my mind anytime something good like this happens.