Door Twenty: Icarus

OF COURSE THE one time I try to keep my thoughts away from Harry, I run into him on one of the most populated streets in Boston. The one time where I'm contemplating even continuing this—whatever this is—and he just shows up out of the blue.

And to make matters just a bit more complicated—as if it wasn't already complicated enough— Natasha recognized him. God, this is so not how I wanted things to go. I was planning to have some more time between Harry and I before I introduced  her to him, but it's like everything around me seems to go awry lately.

I'm too stuck in my head right now, and soon enough, Natasha is going to notice how quiet I am. Should I tell her about the text just to distract me from myself, or will that worsen the panic in  my mind?

Natasha jams along to one of our favorite songs as she drives down the familiar streets in no particular direction. I sing along too just to keep my mind occupied. Glancing down at the phone in my hand, I still see Harry's message from only fifteen minutes ago. I swipe across the screen to open the thread, then press on the empty space.

My thumbs hover over the white electronic keyboard, waiting for me to conjure up a response. My internal conflict is not a debate over whether I want to go over to his place or not—because let's be honest, I'm too far along to lie even to myself anymore and say that I don't want to be there—rather it's the fact of the matter that I've gone over his house way too often.  But don't get me wrong, I want to be in his company. I want to go over his house late at night just so we can have a quiet dinner. I don't know why I crave it so bad. I can't figure out the reason why he pulls me in so much, and with the hundreds of explanations, none is plausible.

If there's one thing I'm going to be straight about is that I can't let it get too far. Only God knows what that man thinks about my constant visits. I know I've pondered on the idea of there being an...us, but it seems too soon. It's barely even been a month since we've acquainted, what has that got to say about me?

I push that question aside and focus on what I want to respond.

*I would like to but Nat & I already made dinner plans...*

Instantly, the typing bubbles appeared just a few seconds after I pressed the blue send button.

*Doesn't always have to be dinner when you come over, darling.*

Of course he would be the type to put a period at the end of a text message.

*What time should I come?*

I watch the screen for the typing bubbles to return, but they don't. Perhaps he was trying to decide what time would be best. Or perhaps he was busy with his friend. Neil was it?

"Hey so where do you wanna go out to eat?" Natasha shouts over the music, abruptly snapping me out of my thoughts. Shoving my phone between the crease of my thighs, I do us both the liberty of turning the volume down so we can speak normally.

"I've been craving Thai lately?" I offer.

"Mmm, it's like you read my mind, Deeds!"

Natasha turns up the volume to what it was before and puts all the windows down to get some warm fresh air. Once again, I pay attention to the lyrics of the song and continue to sing along to get my mind attached to something else. I have all the time in the world to think about Harry, so I might as well should just enjoy this girl's day out.

In under twenty minutes, we arrive to one of our favorite Thai food restaurants, park in a convenient spot, and are seated in a small booth next to the indoor koi fish pond.