Chapter Four

Chapter Four 

-

"Hi, Mr Hemmings! I'm Mr Irwin, Theo's teacher," Ashton smiled politely, extending his arm for Luke to shake his hand.

Luke smiled back and let go of Theo's hand, in order to shake Ashton's. "Hi." He then looked down at Theo who was swinging his arms aimlessly. "Do you want to go sit over there and play? I'm sure we won't be too long."

Theo nodded and walked over to where there were a couple of toys and some books, where he would sit and wait whilst the teacher and father discussed the small boy.

Ashton took a seat at the round table which was located in the reception area, it would only ten or so minutes after the end of school, and Luke had agreed that this would have been a good time to meet and talk.

"Is Theo in trouble?" Luke asked worriedly, looking at the teacher he had not seen before. They had had a newsletter home from the school informing them that there was a new teacher and Theo had told him that he was nice. Not to mention that he was also the man that gave his son chocolate.

But, Luke thought for a teacher he was good looking. His hair was styled neatly and his attire was fashionable. His eyes were a pretty, dark green with streaks of hazel, and his face looked smooth with a little bit of stubble. Nevertheless, the blonde decided to keep his eyes behind the man, only making eye contact every now and then to ensure it was not too awkward.

Ashton on the other hand, whilst admiring his beautiful blue eyes, and loose curly locks, inspected his gaunt cheeks and spindly fingers that lay resting on the table. "Not at all!" he responded to Luke. The teacher stayed up a lot of the night wondering how he was going to bring up the topic to the man, Unsure of how he would react, Unsure of the situation that was occurring.

Ashton took a deep breath and decided to continue. "Theo is doing really well, not only with his work but supporting and communicating with his classmates. You should be really proud of him." Ashton had decided that it was better to praise his son first before bringing up the negative issue.

Luke sat there and stared at the man, confused as to why he had been called in if Theo was doing well. And if it was just to praise him as the teacher had just done he saw it as a waste of his time.

As the blonde failed to speak in response Ashton took another breath and began. "It has come to my concern however that Theo is a little frail, and I'm worried that it might affect him when he's a little older with growing if it's not dealt with."

Luke closed his eyes for a mere second, clenching and clenching his fists. "Theo is fine," Luke stated bluntly. "Is this why you gave him chocolate the other day?"

"I gave chocolate to the whole class. It is good to reward children after they have worked hard," Ashton protested.

"With stickers!" the blonde exclaimed, causing his son to look over at them, He exhaled and then began to elaborate his concern. "Do you understand how many calories there are in chocolate, and fat and sugar and— you should be giving them carrot sticks or celery or they will end up obese like the news is saying."

"Mr Hemmings, I am all on board for children eating healthily, it is best for them in the long term. But, sugar and fats are essential for their growth to—" Luke shook his head rapidly in disbelief. "But, it also good to reward children now and then, it's not going to hurt their bodies."

Luke refused to believe it and began to stand up, clutching at the table in order to aid him. "Mr Hemmings, please I have not addressed the main concern yet. I am sorry if I've caused any offence, but I really would really like to understand your parenting towards Theo and see if I can help with it. All I want is the best for you and your son."

Luke looked over at Theo was watching them both, a car in his hand. "There is nothing to be concerned about, Theo is doing well at school and is happy."

"Luke," The man's first name just slipped out of Ashton's mouth. He sighed, not bothering to remain professional anymore. Sometimes personal was more effective over authoritative. "I am concerned about your son's weight, okay. I don't think he is getting enough food, and I don't know whether this is a social factor or something personal. But, if I think you need to take a look at how tiny Theo is and reconsider what you give him. And if this is something that you are suffering with, I can help refer you to someone, I don't want you to lose him, or for him to lose you. I am only trying to help you both."

Luke held out his hand for his son to take, reluctantly Theo took his hand. Ashton ripped the top of a sheet of paper and squiggled down some numbers. "If you ever want to talk, just message me." He placed it in the man's hand and just stared at the due.

Arrogantly Luke yanked open the reception door and dragged his son out angrily. He could not believe that the man had the audacity to accuse him of such things. He made it sound like he was torturing his child. He was only trying to protect him. With one hand gently holding his sons, the other was clenched shut with the small piece of paper in it.

Ashton watched them go down the path and out of sight whilst he rubbed his eyes. He knew what he had just done could cost him his job, giving out personal information. But, if it were to protect the pair he thought it may be worth it.

-

Please comment what you think.

Thank you so much for reading.