Traumatic Crash

•Y/N: Your Name
•E/C: Eye Color

Author's POV:

A bright smile stretches across Y/N's face as she darts out of the house with Laurence in tow. The angel can't help but smile at the girl's childish ways as she drags him by the hand towards the direction of the park where they first met. She was in the mood to play outside today, since it's warm and sunny, and, of course, Laurence couldn't possibly refuse the adorable little girl he had sworn to protect... Sadly, today would not go as planned.

"Y/N, wait!" Darin shouts from the doorway of the home, hoping to grab the kid's attention before she could get too far. He wants to ask where she's headed, since she just zoomed past him without a word. Y/N didn't hear, since she was in her own little world and continued running into the street. "Y/N!" He screams, horrified while charging towards his foster daughter when he spots a car heading her way at a rapid speed. The oblivious girl stops in her tracks and turns towards Darin as the vehicle comes up quickly from behind.

A sharp gasp escapes her angel as he wastes no time in standing between her and the black car, pulling her small body to his chest with all four of his wings wrapping around her. Now that she has been spun around, she finally saw the danger. In a single moment, the front of the car makes impact with Laurence's armored back. The angel didn't even budge, but the car was wrecked. The airbags deploy, slamming into the drivers face as he jolts forward when the windshield breaks, but Laurence is only concerned about the person held tightly in his arms. Gently, he lifts the child's face to look into her wide, frightened eyes.

"Shh. It's okay. Nothing will hurt you as long as I'm around," he comforts before she's ripped from his grasp and pulled into the arms of another. Darin breaks down in to tears. He was so afraid he was going to lose her. He squeezes her tightly, but she remains frozen from terror.

"How many times have I told you to look before crossing the street!? You could have gotten killed!"

Y/N remains unresponsive to his scoldings, for she was still stunned. Since Laurence isn't visible to her, she saw exactly what would've happened to her if she was hit. E/C eyes glued to the busted vehicle behind her foster father as a dark-haired man with a full beard stumbles out with a hunk of glass lodged in his forehead. The figure collapses to onto their lawn while bleeding profusely, gaining Darin's attention.

"Oh, God! Are you all right?" He asks worriedly before releasing the girl and racing to the man's side to help. As he pulls out his phone to call an ambulance, Laurence approaches Y/N after sensing her emotions. She stands, shaken by the horrifying events with her eyes stuck on the dying man. That could've been her. She could be lying in the street all covered in blood. She could've died. Tears stream down her cheeks as a hand is set on her shoulder. She flinches from the touch as the angel kneels in front of her.

"It's okay, Y/N. I will protect you forever. Don't be scared."

"I... I could've..." the girl begins to sob as all sorts of images pop into her head of what would've happened if Laurence wasn't there. The angel hushes her before hugging her tight. Her knees weaken, causing her trembling body to collapse against the winged creature.

"It's okay now. Let's go inside. We can go to the park another time."

While looking in the direction of the angel's invisible face, she gives a nod before sniffling and wiping her nose on the sleeve of her grey shirt. Thumbs glide beneath her crying eyes softly to clear her tears before the angel stands. He presses against the small of the child's back to usher her into the house. She's compliant and allows him to lead her into her bedroom. When passing the living room, her eyes met with Catherine's, but Laurence continues to push, forcing her to ignore her moody sister. He knows she won't care. She's tainted and broken with a worthless soul. The door is shut behind them as Y/N shakily sits on her bed. The angel joins her, causing the mattress to dip at her side. Without caring about how uncomfortable his cold armor is, she squeezes the man tightly while sobbing uncontrollably. Softly, his hand runs down her back as he speaks soothing words in the female's ear to calm her down.