Coursing Anger

•Y/N: Your Name

—————————————
Author's POV:
__________________________

—————————————Author's POV:__________________________

_________________________

The school bell rings, signaling that lunchtime is now over and that it's time to go back to class, so Y/N and Laurence get up from their lunch table and walk quietly out of the cafeteria to the young girl's locker. She needs to get a few things for her upcoming classes. When they reach the hall, the angel's nose is suddenly assaulted by a pungent odor that made it scrunch. When he looks over to the sweet soul walking beside him, he finds a similar expression of disgust on her own face.

"Ugh, something stinks," she comments, needing to pinch her nose to block out the sour stench, but the smell seemed to only get more nauseating the closer they came to the locker. As they approach the metal door, Laurence sniffs around and lifts a confused brow.

"It's coming from in there," he notes, but it made no sense. Y/N didn't bring anything that'd even come close to such a stink, and it certainly didn't hold such a scent before they left for lunch. Something's off. Wanting to get to the bottom of this, Y/N steps forward and enters her combination before opening the locker door. A gasp of horror and shock fleas from her parted lips, and she stumbles back when the carcass of a skunk falls to her feet. The animal's body was flattened, like it had been ran over by a car, while flies buzz around the rotting carcass. Laurence acts quickly to cover the young maiden's eyes and pulls her back, but it was too late. She had already seen and felt like puking from the terrible stench.

"Go to class. I'll clean this up and bring you your things," he demands in a low whisper and receives a shaky nod from the stunned girl. When he lets the teen go, she takes off running to class, unable to stand there another second with the dreadful stench. Once she's out of sight, the angel looks down at the mangled creature on the floor in pity before picking it up with his bare hands. "Who would've done such a dreadful thing?" he asks himself before catching movement in the corner of his left eye.

He snaps his head in that direction and narrows his eyes before sniffing the air. The skunk masked many of the scents of souls in the building, but he did his best to focus on who was closest. He never really paid attention to Y/N's peers and had not memorized many of the scents, yet he did recognize the one he found. It was that girl, the one who asked to be his partner. Eyes glowing vibrant gold, his grip on the dead animal tightens in anger and an odd sort of heat forms in the palms of his hands.

'Of course. She must be envious of Y/N. Perhaps she thinks she's the reason I said no to her? That is shameful! Y/N is pure and innocent!' So was the girl who had approached him, but now, she has started a journey down the path of sin.

'Ungrateful child blessed with grace. Why must they take it for granted? Why must they go against God and their fellow men? It's despicable!' His eyes dart back to his hands, and the color returns to silver as a look of confusion appears on his face. No dead animal laid in his hands, just a pile of ash. What had he done? The ringing of the bell knocks him out of his thoughts, and his eyes widen a touch.