six // sirens

Giselle grabbed her backpack, filled with Polaroids of bruises her father left, along with the diaries she and her mother penned. She went out the front door as if she was going to school, but she was going to cut today. She was going to go to the police. She walked into the station and a familiar cop saw her. "Giselle," The woman greeted, recognizing the small teenager.

"I have some things for you." Giselle told the cop.

"What is it?" The detective, who was named Vertes, asked.

"Well, it's pictures and diaries and, it's everything." Giselle answered, knowing the cop would understand that she had information that they couldn't trace, proof of her father's crimes. They suspected he was beating Veronica, and emotionally abusing both her and Giselle when they found him holding the gun he pointed at his daughter's head.

"Why are you giving this to me?" Vertes asked, confused as to why now Giselle brought the information to her.

"Because last night, my new little sister, Paige, was born. And my other sister, Addie, hit the baby, so my dad hit her." Giselle answered honestly, feeling so free to finally tell the truth. Counselors have asked and begged her to open up. Cops have explained that her father was breaking the law by hurting her and her mother. But Giselle was so scared that she didn't speak up. "I promised myself when Addie was born that I'd protect her. But if he's around, I can't do that."

"Giselle, what do you have?" Vertes asked for specifics.

"Pictures of bruises he's left on me, and my mother. She was sleeping when I took most of them. I got a picture of the red mark on Addie's face. There's a few of me in the jacket he puts me in. There's diaries, mine and my mom's." Giselle explained. "They did really bad things when they were teenagers. But I don't think my mom wanted to do it, I think he convinced her she had to."

"What did they do?" Vertes questioned.

"Bad things." Giselle said, sitting down the diaries and the photos onto the desk. "You have to read them now." She added and Vertes nodded.

Hours passed as Vertes looked at every single photo and read diary after diary written by Veronica and Giselle.

"They killed people?" Vertes asked and Giselle nodded.

"But if you read it right, my mom grabbed the cup to prank Heather and she didn't shoot either Kurt or Ram." Giselle said, afraid that she might get her mother arrested as well.

"These bruises get worse as the years go by." Vertes told Giselle, looking at a picture from when the choke marks were left on her mother's throat. The marks were thin and light. Gentle compared to the past few years. Then he looked at the picture of the time he beat her so badly, she miscarried. Veronica was covered in bruises from that and laid in a puddle of her own blood in the photograph, looking up at Giselle with a horrified expression on her face.

Giselle thought of that night, when Addie was one, her mother came to Giselle, who was twelve, and explained that she needed someone to read the pregnancy test because she was too scared.

"What does it say?" Giselle's mother asked, frightened.

"It's positive." Giselle replied and then her mother began to cry. "When are you gonna tell him?"

"Not yet. I'm going to wait a few days, to process it." Veronica smiled softly at Giselle, who smiled back.

"Why is there so much blood?" Vertes asked.

"She was pregnant." Giselle answered.

"No, no." Veronica sobbed as she began to bleed from between her legs.

"What's happening?" JD asked, looking down at his wife on the ground bleeding.

"You have to help her!" Giselle shouted.

"I don't know what's happening." JD said, as Veronica wouldn't speak, she just cried. "Did you get your period or something?"

"Mom, you have to tell him." Giselle said.

"Tell me what?" JD asked.

"I'm pregnant." Veronica cried out. "And now I won't stop bleeding."

"What?" JD asked.

"I think she's having a miscarriage." Giselle said, having learned about it in school.

"Why would that be happening!?" JD yelled.

"Maybe because you kicked her in the stomach." Giselle mumbled.

"You be quiet." He said, pushing his daughter out of the way roughly.

"Make it stop." Veronica whined as she looked up at him, he bent down to her and shook his head. He reached out his hand and lifted her up.

"Get some towels." He told Giselle, who brought back the towels, all blue, to where her mother and father were. JD lifted his wife up in a quick motion and he hugged her tightly.

"It hurts." Veronica cried into his chest.

"I know baby, come on, let's get you to bed." JD said, snatching the towels from his daughter and leading Veronica into their room.

"Aren't you going to take her to the hospital!?" Giselle yelled.

"No, it's already too late." JD replied.

"She could bleed to death!" Giselle cried.

"Giselle, let it go. She's fine." JD said, narrowing his eyes at his daughter.

"Honey, I think I need to go too." Veronica told her husband meekly.

"And what are you gonna tell them? Hm? That I hurt you so bad you bled? They'll see the bruises. You want me to go to jail?" JD rambled, shooting question after question at Veronica, who was starting to look weak.

"No," Veronica replied, feeling broken down. "I just want to save it." She said, yelping when JD grabbed her shoulders roughly so she looked at him.

"Listen, it is too late okay? You are not having this baby. It is dead. Do you hear me?" He asked.

"I- " Veronica began.

"Shut up, Veronica." He demanded. "Get in our room and lay down on the towels. Now." He told her with that evil look in his eye. The look that told her to not argue with him.

Veronica took the towels from her husband and went in their room. Leaving Giselle alone with her father, as Addie was asleep for the night. That kid could sleep through a hurricane.

"He beat her so badly that she miscarried." Giselle told Vertes. "He hit her in the face and slammed her against the wall and kicked her while she cried on the ground."

"Why did he do that?" Vertes asked.

Giselle snickered, thinking it was such a stupid reason. "She burnt his dinner."

"Giselle, we have to go now." Vertes said. "We have to take you home."

Giselle shook her head no. "You have to take me to Memorial. That's where they are." She said.

"Okay, lets go." Vertes said. Telling her partner that she needed him to apprehend a suspect with her.

Giselle got in the backseat of the cop car as Vertes and her partner, Green, got in the front seat. They turned the sirens on and started the drive to Memorial.