Chapter Three

Up top is a picture of young Tatum

~~~~~~

After bawling my eyes out I fell asleep. When I woke up Hayden and I didn't say anything about it. She knows I hate feeling weak and scared. I know she's worried but I'm glad she doesn't talk about it. So I'm upstairs in my room laying on my bed and staring at the ceiling not wanting to go to school. I breathed in and got up to go to my vanity. There was a drawer that was filled with letters. They were all from my dad. I've never actually read them because I was to scared. I missed him and reading those letters brought back memories. I remember dad coming home covered in blood looking terrified. I remember that day as if it was yesterday.

My eleven year old self was hanging out with her best friend. She knew she's going to have to leave to go home so her father doesn't worry. Though I doubt he would. After my mom's death when I was nine he hasn't been the same. He drinks and he either comes home drunk or doesn't come home until the next day. Usually I was at Hayden's house way more then I was at mine.

"Hay, I have to leave." I said sadly.

She looked sad too. She was the only friend I have but I'm okay with it.

"Okay Tay. I'll see you tomorrow." She hugged me.

I hugged back. "Love you."

She smiled. "Love you back."

I grabbed my school backpack and left and walked home which isn't that far from Hayden's. When I got home it was silent which is not that surprising at my house. Dad always comes home late. I opened the door and it creaked louder. I winced from the noise. I dropped my bag to the ground.

"Dad?" I called out. No answer. He was probably at the bar like always. I sighed.

I moved to walk upstairs to my room stopped. I walked in my room and sat on my bed and grabbed my book from the nightstand so I could read until Dad got here.

It's been two hours and he still wasn't home. He probably wasn't coming home until tomorrow. I just wished he would call if he wasn't coming home. I was scared to lose him. He was the only parent I had left. I already lost my mom, I couldn't lose my dad too. Suddenly I heard the front door slam shut. I got up and went downstairs.

"Dad? Is that you?" I called.

I stopped at the bottom of the stairs. He was probably is in the living room, drunk. I walked in and stopped when I saw him. He looked terrible. His hair was messy and he had red stuff all over his clothes. Blood. Was he hurt?

"Dad?" My voice cracked.

His eyes snapped to mine. He had this crazed look on his face that scared me. I shouldn't be scared of my dad but there I was scared of him.

"Tatum." He whispered.

He went to me and I stepped back, scared. I felt tears crawling down my cheeks. Why was I crying? I shouldn't be.

"Don't be scared, Tay Tay. I'm not going to hurt you." He said.

"What happened? Are you hurt?" I choked on tears.

"I did something bad, Tay Tay. I didn't mean to but I was drunk and I did something bad, very bad." Dad said.

"What did you do?" I asked.

He looked down. "I didn't mean to kill him. I didn't mean to. I was drunk and mad at everything and I accidentally killed him. Tay I promise I didn't mean to." He started sobbing.

I had tears falling. I know Dad took mom's death hard and he drank to much but I didn't think he would kill someone. "D-daddy."

He bent down in front of me. "Hey. Hey. Listen to me, everything will be okay."

I cried harder and shook my head. "This is your fault there going to take you away and you promised you wouldn't leave me. You promised."

"I know and I'm sorry Tatum. But the police are probably already on their way here. You have to remember that I love you no matter what. I know I haven't been the best dad but you have to remember that I love you no matter what." He rushed out.

"I love you too daddy." I paused for a minute. "But I c-can't forgive you for doing this and getting taken away when you promised you wouldn't leave."

He looked down, sad. "I know but I hope you will one day."

Both of our heads snapped towards the door when there was a knock. I looked at Dad. There here. And Dad was going to leave me like mom did. Dad kissed my forehead.

I yelp when the front doors burst opened. Police officers came in with guns raised.

"Put your hands in the air and step away from the little girl." An officer commanded.

Dad stood up with arms raised and did what he was told. Another officer came and handcuffed him.

"Jake Carter you are under arrest for the murder of Harry Lee." The officer stated.

A girl officer came up and asked if he hurt me and asked if I was okay.

"My dad would never hurt me. I'm fine." I said. But deep down I wasn't. My mom died of cancer and the last parent I had got arrested. I had no one left. I looked at Dad who was cuffed and getting taken away.

The officer hugged me and I cried and cried. That was the last time I saw him.

That was the day my life went down the drain. Everyone new me as a murderer's daughter and they were afraid to go near me. Except for Hayden. My best friend who will always be there for me and I there for her. I didn't have anywhere to go since dad went to prison. Valerie took me in and I was happy. We might not be related by blood but they were my family.

A/N

Here's a chapter that has a flashback of what happened to her dad. And it tells you that her mom died of cancer. Hopefully you like this chapter. Thanks for reading.

~Belle~