Chapter 2

Trouble is on its way Valentine's voice echoes through my mind

Trouble is on its way Valentine's voice echoes through my mind. I push it away, adrenaline surging through my veins. I stuff the pen in the back pocket of my jeans and hurry after Cal.

He's already halfway down the empty locker-lined corridor, his shoulders tense beneath his grey suit jacket.

"Cal, wait! What kind of trouble?"

"Trouble." He doesn't look back.

"Right. As informative as ever, Cal..."

I half jog to catch up with him, noticing him glancing at his watch as I fall into step beside him.

"It's almost midnight." There's an accusatory note to his tone. "I've been looking for you."

"Yeah, well, turns out that resurrecting evil goddesses, and battling zombie cupids doesn't leave much time for homework," I say.

A flicker of disbelief crosses his face. "Homework? You were doing homework until...?!"

"What's going on?" I interject.

He doesn't respond, only quickens his pace as we head out into the cool air of the parking lot. He points his keys at the sole vehicle there – and the doors of the red Lamborghini slide upward. "Hurry up."

I do.

"Cal...You're freaking me out. What kind of trouble? Is everyone OK?"

He looks over the hood at me – his jaw clenched. As he runs a hand through his blonde hair his eyes momentarily hold mine. "You'll see. Just..." he opens the car door. "Just...come on. Hurry."

I get into the car as throws himself in the driver's seat and slips the keys in the ignition. He pauses, then glances at me again – his shoulders tense. He opens his mouth to say something, then closes it.

I raise an eyebrow. "What?!"

"Is...um... everything OK? With you?" he says.

I hastily fasten the buckle of my belt then look up at him.

"Well you've just told me about some mysterious trouble but refuse to elaborate so no...not really."

He holds my gaze.

"Nothing else? You seem a bit...I don't know..."

I exhale, running my fingers through my tangled hair. "I'm fine. Just had a bad dream, that's all."

As I say it, something about the words don't sound right to me. Because it didn't feel like a dream, not really. But I'm too concerned about Cupid, Charlie, Crystal, and the others to be worrying about that right now.

He frowns, nods sharply, then turns the key and the engine roars into life. His eyes fix ahead.

"I knew you weren't doing homework," he says.