Chapter 56

I stiffen – eyes still fixed on Amena and the box

I stiffen – eyes still fixed on Amena and the box. My heart pounds. The air in the reception desk is perfectly still. No-one moves. No-one speaks. The twenty or so cupids – on the floor, behind the desk, standing with bows raised – are like statues, barely breathing.

Slow footsteps click across the cracked tiles.

Dad's home.

"Well, isn't this interesting?" Mars drawls. "An army of the dead in a high school. Two of my sons getting along so well. My ex-lover getting herself killed yet finding her way back. And a box that can grant a favor from the king of the gods. How things have changed since I was last on earth. Yet how war always finds a way regardless."

The footsteps stop. The strong scent of cologne and smoke washes over me – provoking a wave of nausea. I still don't turn – my eyes fixed on the crate.

"Whoever brings me that box will leave this place with their life." His voice changes, hardens.

A couple of the cupids shuffle – heads turning to Amena. Her eyes widen but her fingers clench tighter around the crate. I glare at her. All is silent for a moment; Matchmaking Agents deciding which god to pledge their loyalty to.

Then the short guy I hit in the face darts forward. In a sudden movement Cal raises his bow, swipes an arrow, and hits him in the chest. He falls to the ground at Amena's feet screaming.

Mars chuckles. "Now is not the time for a rebellion, my son. But very well. I gave you the choice. That box cannot be allowed anywhere near Venus," he says. "Not when it could summon the one god with the power to send me back to where I came from." I hear his clasp his hands together. "No. Rather I kill you all. Take the box. And destroy it myself."

Amena flinches – dark eyes widening.

"Can't exactly kill me, can you?" says Cupid.

I still don't turn – my eyes fixed only on the crate. We need to get it out of here.

Mars laughs coolly. "Hello, son. It seems your mother has been rather lax on disciplining you and your brothers. But not to worry. I'm here now." There's a long pause – tension thick in the cold room. "You are not as immortal as you think, you know?"

Cupid stiffens. My heart thumps in my chest at his words. But I can't afford to think about what Mars means by that.

I need to get the box to Venus. It's the only way to end this.

My foot twitches as I ready myself.

"Speaking of your mother, I hear she's not too pleased with you," continues Mars. "Something about a match and Psyche's re-incarnated soul."

Cupid's hand tightens around my wrist as he subtly nudges me further behind him - his entire body stiff.

My heart pounds.