Chapter 6

Cupid, Cal, and I stand in a triangle in the center of the trial room

Cupid, Cal, and I stand in a triangle in the center of the trial room. All eyes are on us, but no-one moves; no-one speaks. Tension twists in the air alongside a few remaining tendrils of black smoke from the Furies.

We're all breathing hard, and, as Cupid's chest moves up and down, his shirt - damp with sweat - clings to his hard torso. He blows out hot air, then rubs his head with a big hand – ruffling his already messy hair. He catches my eye, then his gaze locks onto Cal's. He gives him an almost imperceptible nod that Cal returns.

"My office. Now!" says Crystal again.

I jerk my head toward the stage as she turns and heads down the steps towards the back exit. Cupid, Cal, and I share a look, then we turn and make our way after her – the two brothers on either side of me. As soon as we start to move the surrounding Matchmaking Agents break into agitated conversation – presumably about what we have just done, and what could be coming next.

Cal's words come back to me.

The Matchmaking Service could find themselves at War with the Underworld itself.

They can punish humanity, though.

The three of us walk across the tiled, mosaic floor in silence. I feel like a naughty school child, and wonder if the other two feel the same. I can feel the tension radiating off Cal, and Cupid's jaw is clenched into an hard line. We reach the door, and head out into the corridor – catching the back of Crystal as she heads into the courtyard at the end.

"You shouldn't have done that, Lila," hisses Cal as soon as the door swings shut behind us.

"What was I supposed to do?" I snap back. "They were going to kill him."

"He would have been fine."

"Would not!"

"Would so."

"Would..."

"I would have been fine, Lila." Cupid's voice is quiet, but it cuts over mine. I look up at him and his face is unusually serious. Something sad burns behind his eyes  as we head into the moonlit courtyard and turn into the corridor leading to Crystal's office. "I didn't want you to get into trouble on my account."

"I'm always getting into trouble on your account," I say – flashing him a half smile.

He shakes his head and flashes me a half grin in response. "True. It was a good shot, too." His thick eyebrows furrow. "Very good actually. Have you been training?"

"I guess," I say.

"It was an unnecessary risk," says Cal – eyes fixed ahead.

I take a deep breath, then look away. Irritation is building up inside me. It wasn't unnecessary. Cupid was on the floor, with a blade to the throat, and three Furies pulling him across the tiles.