Chapter 40

"Is everything OK, Lila?" asks Crystal.

Her boots click against the checkered tiles as we walk down the corridor away from the sleeping cupids – our pockets full of obols. Her gaze is fixed ahead.

"Yeah..." I say.

She turns her head and arches an eyebrow. I sigh.

"Well...Cupid and Cal have forgotten me. I was tortured by the Furies. And I've been stuck here with Valentine...so..."

I give her a half smile and shrug.

"You and Valentine seem to be getting along OK to me," says Crystal – her other eyebrow lifting too.

I look away – trying to fight the heat I feel creeping to my face. "I... no..."

I feel her eyes on me. I sigh.

"It's nothing. We just...he doesn't seem as bad as I first thought, is all." The dusty air around us feels heavy. "I suppose you're going to tell me to be careful," I say.

"No, I wasn't, actually," she says. "It could be useful. This friendship – while a little unorthodox - could prove useful to us. I really don't want to bring him back with us. Have you found out anything about the box?"

I tell her what I know – that it was part of Psyche's last task, that there's some form of sleeping draught protecting it, that whatever is inside can defeat Venus, and that he has sworn on the Styx not to reveal its contents.

We pause when we reach Morpheus's study – the sound of sultry jazz permeating the dark room.

"Interesting," she says with a frown. "But not enough information to go on..."

"I know – I'm working on it. What about Venus? Have you managed to track her down yet? It's all very well stopping her from getting the box – but if we don't get her back to the Underworld..." As if on cue, the ground trembles. "...The God of the Dead will rise."

"I know." Crystal exhales. "I have Charlie and the cupids on the case. But no – we haven't found her. We think she's hiding out in Greece – the Arrows said something about her being where it all started. I think they're talking about Ancient Greece. And there's been a fair amount of matchmaking activity in the Athens branch. But I'm sure she'll be heading to Forever Falls before long to get the box."

"Do you think one of the Arrows she's sent here might know? If they've come for the box they must know where she is to bring it to her."

"Good idea – I'll have Mino see what he can find." She exhales heavily. "We need to sort this mess out as soon as possible. Charon has promised us passage on the next ferry back in the morning. I want everyone organized and ready to go for then. And I want that box from Valentine. Where is everyone?"

I head over to the bookshelf – opening the door to the Speakeasy. Mino's laugh booms up the steep stairway.

"Down here," I say.