Chapter 32

I no longer hurt all over. I'm lying down on something soft. My eyes slowly open.

The black beams of a four-poster bed swim into focus – distorting the high ceiling above. I take a few deep breaths – trying to fight a sense of nausea building up in my stomach. I don't hurt anymore, but I don't feel good either. My mind is fuzzy and I try to grip onto any coherent thought; I try to make sense of what's going on, of where I am.

We came to the Underworld. The Furies were torturing me. And then...

Something shifts beside me.

Valentine.

My heart jolts in my chest and I half fall, half scramble out of the bed – crimson sheets tangling around my body and almost tripping me over onto a black and white tiled floor. The movement stirs another wave of nausea as I spin around – bending over slightly, hand on my stomach.

Valentine is laid on top of the covers, hands clasped behind his closely shaved head, muddy boots crossed on the bedspread. A devilish smile spreads across his face – causing those irritatingly charming dimples in his cheeks.

"Wakey wakey, rise and shine," he says.

"You. What are you doing he-" I shut my mouth – eyes widening. And then I promptly vomit on the floor – a translucent, watery liquid that splatters over the elaborate checkered tiles.

Oh God.

I clamp a hand over my mouth then slowly meet Valentine's eyes – heat flooding to my face. He's watching me – unphased, a glint of amusement dancing in the vivid blue of his irises.

"Oh God. Sorry. I..." I shut my mouth. "Wait. I'm not apologizing to you. Oh...God..." A wave of nausea overcomes me once more. "Bathroom..."

He removes a hand from behind his head, bringing it close to his torso, and turns it – finger pointing at a door to the left. I sprint past the bed – barely able to take in my surroundings or wonder where the hell he's taken me – and barge through the door. I fall to my knees in front of the toilet and hurl again.

Oh God.

I breathe hard – stomach muscles aching from the exertion. And it hurts. My throat feels like it's on fire. I retch again.

"I'm not quite sure how to take this, Lila." Valentine's gruff voice resounds from somewhere behind me. "Throwing up at the sight of me..."

"Go. Away."

He chuckles.

"You know, you really shouldn't drink water from the river. It can give you all manner of sicknesses."

I lift my heavy head slowly and flash a scathing look over my shoulder. Valentine is leaning against the doorframe, big arms folded across his chest, shocking eyes on me. His pale blue shirt is rolled up at the sleeves exposing his thick forearms. A smile toys at his lips.