Chapter 1 - The Mark

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Marinette's alarm sounded, waking her up from a deep and peaceful sleep.

She groaned softly, not wanting to go to school.

Then she remembered. She was turning 17, and that meant... she was getting her soulmate mark! She threw the covers off of her, suddenly completely awake.

"Today's the day!"

She jumped out of bed and began to search her skin for any signs of it. It, being her soulmate mark, On everyone's seventeenth birthday, they received an initial somewhere on their body that represented who their soulmate was - their other half. Usually it was the initial of the person's first name, but there have been case of their full initials. The fonts and colours and gave clues to your soulmate.

For example, her best friend Alya had a red N on her wrist to represent their DJ friend, Nino, and Nino had an orange A representing Alya.

On the other hand, her crush, Adrien, didn't have anything... yet. She was both dreading and anticipating seeing his mark on his upcoming birthday. What if it was Chloe? Chloe was the meanest girl in school, taking every chance she got to bring Marinette down and flirt with Adrien.

After ten minutes looking at all the usual places, wondering if it was just really small or something, she sat back down on her bed and tried not to panic.

"Tikki, where could it be? What if I didn't get a mark? What if I don't even have a soulmate?" Marinette worried.

Her kwami flew in front of her. "Marinette, calm down. Take a deep breath. You haven't looked everywhere. In fact..." she said, flying behind Marinette, "Aha!"

"What?" asked Marinette.

"Here it is! It's on your shoulderblade!"

"So I do have one! Is it Adrien?" Marinette asked hopefully. She didn't know what she would do if it wasn't. She couldn't imagine being in love with anyone else.

But Tikki's voice seemed saddened. "Uh, Marinette..."

"What is it?"

"It's a green and black CN," said Tikki, knowing this was not what Marinette wanted, not at all.

"But that could only mean... Cat Noir," said Marinette, realizing it suddenly. She was destined to love him? But she loved Adrien! This was not how it was supposed to go. There was supposed to be a blue A! It was supposed to be Adrien.

Her heart broke at that moment. She couldn't spend the rest of her life with Cat Noir, knowing the love of her life was with someone else, maybe even her enemy, Chloe.

She twisted her head around and looked at her back. Sure enough, there it was. Plain as day. The initials themselves were beautiful. That initials had an ombré that turned the green at the top to black and then back to green. There was no doubt. This could only refer to Cat Noir. How could this have happened? She didn't have feelings for him. Would he get a red L for Ladybug? Worse, would he bring it up to her - the fact that they were destined to be together?

She didn't know how she could even look at Adrien today, knowing that he wasn't her soulmate.

She began to cry and accepted the tissue Tikki brought her.

"It'll all be okay, Mari. You'll see. Maybe you'll grow to love Cat Noir."

"But what if I don't? What if I always love Adrien my whole life? Oh, Tikki, this has been the worst birthday already."

Tikki didn't quite know what to say. She knew Marinette loved Adrien, and agreed that he was the perfect guy, but inside, she was jumping for joy.