Chapter 9 - Complicated

After Marinette had gotten home, she felt as if a huge weight had been lifted off of her shoulders. She had finally told Adrien how she had felt. The confession was another step to getting closer to Cat Noir and accepting him as her one true soulmate. As the universe wanted.

Once she was in her room, Tikki flew out from her purse.

"Wow, Marinette! I'm so proud of you! That took a lot of courage!" Tikki said excitedly.

"Thanks, Tikki, I hope Adrien is happy with whoever his soulmate is," Marinette said. She wasn't going to pretend she didn't have any heartsickness right now, but she felt as if she could get through it. It would be fine. She would be okay.

Marinette walked up onto her balcony and stared at the city she called home.

As Marinette, she walked through the city admiring its beauty with her friends. As Ladybug, she protected it with her beloved partner, Cat Noir.

Cat Noir...

Her partner, her teammate, her other half, her soulmate.

She was wondering about her soulmate mark. Why did the marks appear this way? Why was he given a mark reflecting her civilian self while she was given him one reflecting his superhero persona? It didn't make sense. Why wouldn't they both get civilian marks or superhero marks? She sighed and closed her eyes.

"So, what's got you so deep in thought, princess?" A voice said from behind her, making her jump slightly, Tikki quickly flew out of sight.

Marinette gasped and turned around. It was Cat Noir! He was leaning against the wall in a casual way, his eyes piercing. Handsomer than ever, she thought.

"I was just wondering about our soulmate marks," Marinette confessed.

"What about them?" Cat Noir asked.

"Well, why would the universe make Cat Noir, the great superhero of Paris, my soulmate?"

Cat Noir was silent for a moment.

"Do you not like me as your soulmate?" he asked hesitantly.

"What? No! I just mean, why would the mark insinuate your superhero self, not your civilian self. I mean, it would certainly be easier for us, and less sneaking around for you," Marinette teased.

Cat Noir walked up closer to Marinette, a devilish grin perched on his lips.

"Well I may have an idea," He said softly. He leaned towards her. He had a particular scent that she couldn't name, but it was strangely familiar. It was intoxicating.

"What do you mean?" Marinette asked, staring up at him,

Cat Noir suddenly turned away and walked towards her balcony, back to Marinette. He slumped, and his voice became heavier.

"Well, in my civilian life, I'm not as free as I am as Cat Noir. I have to make sure I don't embarrass my father, so I'm the perfect son. I can't really say or do anything. I can't go out with friends that often or just have some fun. I'm not my true self in my civilian form. But as Cat Noir, I'm free to do and say anything I want. I'm free from my father. It's become one of the best parts of my life."