Chapter 7 - Compared

The next day, Adrien was walking with Nino to class when he got a glimpse of Marinette walking with Alya.

Marinette, his soulmate.

He still couldn't believe that the person she was trying to protect was him. As they were walking, he overheard the two best friends talking.

"So, still no mark?" Alya asked Marinette.

"Yeah, it still hasn't shown up," Marinette morosely.

"Well, be positive! I'm sure it will show up soon!" Alya said, smiling at Marinette.

"I doubt it! Marinette is destined to be alone forever," Chloe said, walking past with a haughty grin.

Marinette lowered her eyes. Adrien was tempted to walk over there and comfort his soulmate, but he couldn't. Her soulmate was Cat Noir, not Adrien. He couldn't do anything, not yet anyway. He knew that one day he would reveal his identity to her, but that day will have to wait. He had to be patient.

As Alya and Marinette went to class, Alya was trying to comfort Marinette.

"It'll show up! I'm sure of it!" Alya said.

"Thanks, Alya," Marinette said.

She was grateful she had such a good friend as Alya to stand by her, but she hated lying to her. She didn't know how long she could keep up this lie before Alya saw through it. Marinette sighed and took her seat in class.

Once the lesson started, she tried her hardest to pay attention, but she couldn't. She had too much on her mind, what with lying to Alya, and her problems with Adrien and Cat Noir.

After school, Marinette went home. Sitting on her bed, she was completely silent. Tikki regarded her with concern, trying to cheer her up.

"I need to clear my head. Tikki, spots on," Marinette said, rising from her seated position with a determined expression.

Ladybug transformed and went out on patrol early. She looked around and saw many couples happily walking around. Kissing, holding hands, and just chatting, all the while looking in each other's eyes. She looked at them, filled with sadness, and sighed. Would she and Cat Noir ever have that? She continued patrolling Paris, observing the beautiful city she called home. When she got to the park, she saw Adrien, Nino and Alya hanging out, sitting on the edge of the fountain. Ladybug remembered Alya asking her to come and hang out with them, but she hadn't really been in the mood, and she was trying to let go of her feelings for Adrien. That meant time apart.

"Marinette couldn't come today. Sorry, guys," Alya was currently explaining. Ladybug felt a pang, and in that moment, she wished she were with them. Even if she was trying to get over her crush.

"Oh, bummer," Nino replied.

"I think she's still getting over the fact she didn't get a mark, but I'm sure she'll get it. Everything happens for a reason, right?" Alya said.

"Yeah..." Adrien replied.

Ladybug then decided to swing past and caught Alya's attention.

"Ladybug!" Alya called out excitedly

"Ladybug stopped and looked over at them, pretending to be surprised, then smiled.

"Hey, Alya!"

"Ladybug, what are you doing today? There hasn't been an akuma, right?" Alya asked, obviously alarmed at the thought she missed another one of Hawkmoth's victims. Ladybug had to fight a laugh. Same old Alya.

"Oh, nothing like that! I was just patrolling the city," she explained.

"Well in that case, can I get in a quick interview?" Alya asked, getting out her phone.