Chapter 15 - The Poem

She stayed there for a moment, enraptured by his eyes, before grasping his hands and lowering them, then backing away from him, into the wall.

"Chat. I don't know what to feel. I've been falling in love with you for ages. Ever since the beginning. But that speech to Ladybug..." She covered her face with her hands. He was looking at her with this terrible expression of sadness. She couldn't stand it. "I just... I feel like I'll always be second best to her. Never as good, just second choice."

"Marinette, you're not-" he said quickly, tears in his eyes.

"Chat, I don't know how to be with you without picturing you telling Ladybug you like me and love her. That I'm amazing and all that, but you wish she could be your soulmate. I'm sorry. I need to be alone. You have to go."

"Marinette, please don't," he said pleadingly.

"Just give me some time, at least. Please. Just go," she sobbed into her hands.

"If that's what you want," he said finally, and left.

As he traveled home, he felt heavy somehow. He couldn't stop crying. He knew he had to fix this. He couldn't live without Marinette. He couldn't live without his soulmate.

He couldn't believe he'd ever been annoyed to have her as a soulmate. She was the most amazing girl in the world.

He pulled out his phone once home and texted Alya.

so everything's messed up with mari. bad. i'm sorry, but can you help me?

Alya, receiving the text, gritted her teeth. What had he done this time?

She knew this had to be fixed, though. Marinette wouldn't be happy without Chat Noir, and he, stupid cat he nevertheless was, would definitely not be happy without her. And so, suddenly determined, she texted him.

we need a plan.

He grinned, seeing that. They were going to fix this.

alright.

Then came the second text.

but in order to do that, i need to know, what happened this time?

He quickly texted her all the details, how he confessed and Marinette told him she would always feel second best to ladybug.

Ayla read the text and sighed. This was going to take some effort.

okay here's what needs to happen. you need to prove to marinette that she is the only girl in your heart.

Adrien, detransformed, saw the text and texted back.

how do I do that?

Alya texted her plan to Cat Noir. He was nervous, but optimistic to the thought it would work. Alya knew Marinette better than anyone.

The next morning, Marinette woke up and found a single red rose with a card. Inside the card was an inscription.

You have the most beautiful smile