Chapter 17 - The Reveal

Marinette was sleeping in her bed, dreaming happily about Cat Noir, when someone kept shaking her. She groaned sleepily and rolled over.

"Marinette, wake up!"

Marinette opened her eyes and was greeted by her best friend, Alya.

"Alya, what are you doing here so early?" Marinette asked, sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

"Early? Girl, it's 1 o'clock in the afternoon!" Alya told her, laughing.

"Huh? What?" Marinette said incredulously. Did she really sleep in that long?

"You must have been up pretty late last night. Maybe... you got a secret visitor?" Alya said, leaning in towards Marinette with a teasing grin.

"W-what? Who would even v-visit me when it's date night - I mean, late at night," Marinette said, climbing out of bed quickly.

"I don't know, your secret soulmate perhaps?" Alya said, smiling.

"N-no!" Marinette said in a panic.

Alya started laughing. "I'm just joking with you, girl," she said.

Marinette let out a sigh of relief. It would be hard for her to explain that someone was in her house last night, and it wasn't just anybody - it was a superhero.

"Well anyway, come on, let's go do something. We haven't hung out in a while!" Alya exclaimed.

Marinette nodded happily. Everything was just perfect. Well, almost. She was dying to tell Alya that her soulmate wasn't just any boy - he was Cat Noir.

"Why don't we bake something?" Marinette asked eagerly.

"Yeah, girl, I've been craving cupcakes!" Alya responded. Marinette laughed as her best friend pulled her downstairs to the kitchen.

Later, after a day with Alya full of baking, watching television, chatting, and eating cupcakes, Marinette lay back on her bed, exhausted yet happy. Things were good with her best friend, things were good with her... boyfriend? Marinette didn't know what her and Chat were, exactly.

There was a knock on the window. Marinette smiled. Speaking of...

She crossed the room and saw Chat's face, grinning at her. He pointed at the balcony, clearly wanting her to come up onto it with him. She giggled and climbed up the ladder.

Stepping outside, Marinette felt the cold night air hit her skin. Chat Noir started to greet her, pulling her towards him.

"Mari-"

"What are we?" she said, interrupting him. He looked startled. She smiled sheepishly. "Sorry. I was just wondering, are we dating? Am I your girlfriend?"

Chat Noir's eyes lost their confusion. "Of course, Marinette. Of course you are. Why wouldn't you be?"

"I-I don't know. I just wasn't sure."

Chat smiled. "Dating you is the only thing I want."

Marinette realized it all at once, and she felt the urge to say it, just blurt it all at once. So she did. "Chat?"

"Yes?"

"I love you," she said nervously, staring up into his green eyes, which lit up. She didn't think he'd ever been more handsome.

"I love you too," he said, and even though he'd confessed that already she still felt her heart clench in happiness and butterflies fill her stomach. She stood on tiptoes to meet his lips and they shared a long kiss.

Marinette felt something weird. Sparks. Of course, she'd felt figurative sparks before with Chat, but as they broke apart, she saw actual sparks in the air and felt a sensation travel up the top of her arm.