t h i r t y - n i n e

A/N: I feel like this is the most suck-ish chapter ever, but oh well, I'll edit it later. Vote, comment😊

Smoke quickly enveloped Remi, wrapping her in its deadly embrace. She ducked her head down to stay out of the worst of the smoke, and pressed on.

The left side of the building on the ground level floor was already up in flames that were viciously devouring the wood.

Remi quickened her pace, realizing she had very little time. She ran towards the screams.

Taking two stairs at a time, Remi pulled the neckline of her shirt up over her nose so that she could breath a little better, and allowed her eyes to burn; she could only imagine how bloodshot they looked. She needed to be able to see if she wanted to find anyone.

Once reaching the second floor, Remi saw that flames were covering nearly three-quarters of the floor. And trapped behind a wall of flames were all the screams, coming from within a closed-doored office. They couldn't get out.

Remi steeled herself. She had to remember how to call upon the powers she discovered with Killure, or people would die.

She closed her eyes and held her breath blocking out all the sounds and smells and sights around her to concentrate.

She focused on the icy blue energy within her, bringing it up to the tips of her fingers, and tried with all her might to push it from her body.

And then, the very tips of Remi's physically burst open, blood spraying before her. She screamed in pain, but ignored the strong impulse to cradle her injured hands.

Blue energy forced its way from her fingers, ripping the tips open even further as it travelled up her arms, creating blue body armour made of energy. The energy never touched her, hovering centimetres above her skin, but when Remi bravely stepped into the flames, she felt no pain.

Her energy was protecting her from the red hot flames.

With adrenaline racing through her veins, Remi stood in the midst of the flames as she grasped the melted door knob. "Stand back!" she screamed above the flames, hoping the people inside would hear her and move away from the door.

When she forced the handle towards her, the door swung open, and flames shot through the door in a burst of energy.

Remi saw the terrified faces of men and women dressed in formal work clothing, the colour drained from their faces. A few slaves also stood around them. The room didn't have any windows.

They looked at her with wide eyes full of disbelief. They hadn't expected anyone to save them. Their screams had been grief-filled and desperate, because they knew they were going to die.

"Demon," one whispered, taking a step back, fear flickering in his eyes.

"No," another whispered in shock. "Designer."

Remi stepped forward out of the flames, still surrounded by the translucent blue glow. She turned back, and paled upon seeing flames completely covering the doorframe.

How was she going to get them out?

A man dropped to the floor, the smoke in his lungs causing him to pass out.

Instinctively, Remi dashed towards him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Blue, glowing energy immediately flowed across his body, imitating the way it covered Remi's own body.

With wide eyes, Remi demanded that everyone come to her.

They did, tentatively at first, and then more quickly when they saw Remi's blue energy envelop every person she touched.

Upon reaching the last man, Remi stepped back just as he reached out to get her protection. She knew every person in the room would willingly leave the man passed out on the floor to burn alive if it meant they got out safely, so she took precautions.

She nodded to the unconscious man on the floor. "Pick him up and carry him out with us. The second you drop him, I let you burn."

The man nodded quickly, tossing the body over his shoulder and then looking expectantly at Remi.

She gently touched his shoulder, closing her eyes as more energy was expelled from her body.

She knew she wasn't able to keep this up for much longer, but she strained against the urge to pull her energy back from all these people.

"Let's go!" Remi growled, leaping through the flames eating away at the doorframe. "And cover your noses with your shirts!"

It would really suck if she got them all out, just for them to die of smoke inhalation.

Many were hesitant to step into the fire, but after a few people did it without burning up, the rest were quick to follow.

She led them down the stairs to ground level, and then pointed them to the exit. Some gave her a quick thanks, but most ignored her as they desperately ran for the safety of fresh air.

Remi took back her energy once they were all safely outside, but it didn't make her feel any stronger. She felt weak and drained, as if the life had been sucked right out of her.

Still, she knew quitting now wasn't an option.

With determination hardening her eyes, Remi dashed back up the stairs once again.

———

Again and again, Remi directed small groups of people safely out of the burning building, using up nearly every ounce of energy within her body.

Every part of her burned from exertion, and all the smoke she'd inhaled was making her feel lightheaded and dizzy.

She couldn't hear any more screams, but after dragging out a few unconscious bodies already, she knew she had to go back in and check to make sure she hadn't missed anyone.

The second floor was completely consumed by flames now, and pieces of its structure was falling down to the ground level floor. Some people had already been impaled by the collapsing building.

Remi glanced up the stairs, and knew she wouldn't find anyone she could save up there any longer. Any of the people she'd missed were already dead.

She forced herself not to think about the people who'd burned to death on the third, fourth, and fifth floors. Those floors were already completely up in flames by the time she'd first went back inside the building. Her heart clenched painfully for them.

A burning pillar from above broke free, falling straight for Remi. She dove forwards, barely able to get out of the way before it crashed into where she'd just been standing, caving in the floor.

Remi cried out when she felt an intense feeling of pain at her shoulder. It was burning.

Her shield of energy had grown thin, and some areas were even flickering, allowing the flames to lick at her skin.

Fear coursed through her. If Remi didn't get out now, she was going to die.