f i f t y - f i v e - pt. 1

Remi furrowed her brows in surprise.

The tendrils still came out of her Grandpa Bericc's fingertips and held them in place, stronger than ever.

Power radiated from him like heat from a furnace. There was an air of confidence, clarity, and finality surrounding him.

"Grandpa?" Remi blurted in confusion, unsure as to what was going on. Nothing made sense.

Why was her grandpa here, of all places, at a time like this?

From what she had been told, Grandpa Bericc was living on some private island with every luxurity at his fingertips, content with life.

He'd visit them all every couple years as Remi grew up, always bringing new gifts and surprises. He'd spend nearly all his time with Remi and her siblings and cousins, teaching them new things, and telling them fantastical stories that they couldn't help but listen to, enraptured by the intrigue and magical rise and fall of his words. Always making jokes at his own expense, Grandpa Bericc was the first to point out how he always had more wrinkles and less hair each time he saw them.

Never once had she seen her grandpa without a smile on his face, small wrinkles crinkling the corners of his kind, ocean-clear, blue eyes.

He was always the peace within the storm, the fun in a world of boring and hard work, with a whirlwind of adventure swirling in his wake. Each invitation he gave them to come visit him was denied by either Uncle Fahrem or Remi's dad, much to the children's dismay.

And now, her grandpa was giving her another one of his famous smiles, the kind he used to give her as a kid, his white teeth bright and gleaming. "My beautiful granddaughter," he said softly, almost quietly. "You've grown up since I last saw you."

Remi wasn't quite sure what to say or do. She felt like running up to her grandpa and throwing herself in his arms, and letting him assure her that everything was going to be alright and go right back to normal. That this whole mess of a situation was just a hiccup in the road, and that nothing was permanent.

But alas, she knew that something was amiss if he had come all the way here, and at such a critical time. Of all the days he could have came for a visit, he chose today? It seemed suspicious, as much as Remi didn't want to admit it.

And on top of that, her grandpa could transform himself into a giant. He'd always used the projection of his energy for parlour tricks when she was a kid. She never knew just how powerful this seemingly frail, elderly man was. He'd kept that hidden from her this entire time.

Surely her grandpa had an explanation, though. He had to. He always did.

Killure took a hurried step forwards, as if to start for her grandpa. Remi quickly grabbed his wrist, squeezing tightly.

His smouldering eyes met hers, full of rage and fury, speaking of the carnage that would be wrought once his tornado of emotions were released from his body onto his target.

"Not now," she said firmly, not believing for a second that he was going to listen to her. She thought for sure that her words would go in one of his ears and out the other a second later.

And yet, he stopped. He still shook in anger, and seemed ready to pounce at any second, but he didn't move. He was listening to her.

Remi would have marvelled, if she'd had the time.

"Grandpa," she breathed out, the confusion evident in her voice. "What's going on? Tell me."

His smile drooped a little, becoming lopsided and misshapen. "Ah yes, little dove, you deserve to know. Perhaps we could go into the city and find a small diner to sit inside and discuss matters?"