f o r t y - n i n e

"My Icix?" Remi repeated, giving her uncle a quizzical expression.

He smiled easily. "Yes. I can only imagine how many times he dreamed of getting his revenge on our family. You made that dream possible by releasing him, but you couldn't have known what he'd do with his newfound freedom," he cooed gently, subtlety hinting that this entire mess was Remi's doing.

"Why would he . . . want revenge on us, in particular?" Remi asked brokenly, leaning into her uncle's welcoming embrace.

He stroked her hair soothingly. "You remember your Grandpa Bericc, don't you? He was simply splendid with you children—the perfect, loving grandfather. Always has been."

She waited for him to continue, squeezing her eyes tightly shut. Killure had mentioned something about her grandfather in the past, but she hadn't given it much thought. She'd simply assumed he was mistaken.

"All that aside," Uncle Fahrem murmured into her ear. "Your grandfather had made alliances with some dangerous men. Men who had abilities nearly as powerful as ours. They were the ones who decided—"

"—that the Icix population was a threat?" Remi finished, glancing up at him. He looked mildly annoyed at having been interrupted, but forced his smile to become even larger as he continued.

"Yes. They were too strong. Your grandfather and his allies enlisted the help of some powerful men on Merricrest and the other islands with resources they could utilize—Lord Gallanthus and his ships, for one. They destroyed Northfall's entire population."

Remi didn't want to believe that his words were true, but she couldn't find it within herself to doubt him, either. Everyone knew about the Icix massacre, but the identity of those who brought them down wasn't public knowledge.

"It may sound terrible, but it was for the best. Icixes used to torment Merricrest and the other island-cities, preying upon unsuspecting people and devouring them in a horrifying fashion. Picking them off one by one. If that had been allowed to continue, no one would have felt safe. However, I can understand why that Icix of yours holds a grudge against our family. What I can't understand is how he could murder poor Faye, darling Caede, your baby brother Kareem, and all the servants, in cold blood mind you, when none of them had any involvement in what happened to his people."

At the mention of her little brother Kareem's name, Remi's heart ached heavily. Claws of sorrow had pierced her chest and were squeezing her heart dry. She hardly heard anything her uncle said after he mentioned her baby brother.

"Kareem . . . him too?" Remi managed to choke out.

Her uncle nodded solemnly, pulling away from her just enough to look her in the eyes. "I'm so sorry, my niece. So, so sorry. He took Kareem with him after the child was dead."

Remi ground her teeth. Perhaps if she ground them hard enough, they would cause her more pain than her heart currently was. "And my dad?"

"He's in the backyard. A sobbing mess, not that I blame him. He thought you and Kareem were both dead and taken."

At least he was alive. Remi wouldn't have to be an orphan.

With glossy eyes, Remi let her gaze fall to the floor, dejectedly. "What will we do now, Uncle?"

"I have a plan to avenge our fallen loved ones, but it could take some time, and I need your help. Do you trust me, Remi?"