i f o n l y

i f  o n l y | 6

Gray blinked once, twice, and then a third time. The sun was so bright, and it shined in his eyes, but he couldn't stop staring as he watched Juvia walk towards him with two giant ice cream cones in her hands.

His heart did a little summersault in his chest when she gave him that bright smile of hers. Her hair fell into waves down her shoulders. Elegantly, like a waterfall, and her eyes were the color of the sky. So blue, and so right. Beautiful.

They had gone out for the day. Taken a day off from Fairy Tail duties. She had worn something more casual, something she had worn when they had been in that little cottage together. Her blue skirt, and blue shirt. It was the most revealing Juvia had ever been in public infront of him, and he loved seeing her more free. More comfortable with her skin.

"Gray-sama!" She ran the last distance between them. "Juvia was gone for five minutes and Gray-sama is already undressing!"

Gray hadn't even realized when his shirt had come off. He smiled cheekily and threw it back on. Then he accepted the cold treat from Juvia as she took a seat beside him on a bench.

They had gone up to a near park. He remembered that Juvia loved going there to people watch. He had daughter on time on his way back from a mission, mindlessly staring of, smiling to her self. He had surprised her and had decided to tease her a bit.
After she had sort of convinced him that it wasn't creepy at all, she had said;

"Juvia loves coming here and seeing people go on during their day. It makes me realize how small the world really is. Everyone has their own schedule and so does Juvia, but still, we aren't that different."

Gray hadn't been one hundred percent sure what she meant then, but he understood it as he watched a couple walk by holding hands, and another doing the same, but the guy was carrying a little boy on his shoulders. They were all precious life's that the guild had protected.

Gray looked down, and saw Juvia's hand on the seat between them. She had been distracted staring of, in her own world, so he wrapped his hand around hers. She turned around and smiled at him. It was almost as sweet as the ice cream that was in his other hand. Her blue eyes shined, and they looked a little sad.

Her other hand reached over and cupped his face, where had her ice cream gone?

She stared so deep into his eyes that he was sure that she was looking into his soul. Then she leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips.

"It would've been nice, wouldn't it had? If only, that battle had never happened."

Gray felt his heart stop beating and his whole body go still. Battle? He saw Juvia get up, look at him with one last smile, and then she started walking away.

Juvia!

Gray couldn't move, or speak, no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't. All he could do was watch helplessly as she walked away and her silhouette get smaller by the second, until it completely disappeared from his sight.

"Juvia!"

Gray gasped for air as he sat up. It had been a dream.

"Just a bad dream," Gray panted. He was covered in cold sweat, and his sheets were all over the floor. He was at home, in his bedroom. He looked over at the clock and saw it was 3am, and then he also saw the date on the calendar.

It had been one year. A whole year since Juvia's death when she sacrificed herself during the battle in order for both of them to be unchained from Invel's magic.

Gray couldn't help but feel pathetic. She was really gone, and he still couldn't get it through his brain. He had been a coward back then, and he realized it too late.

His dream made him feel more pitiful, because they weren't even memories, they were just dreams. He wished he would've taken Juvia to the park and eaten ice cream with her. He wished he could've kissed her and holded her hand in real life. He wished he couldve—could—do all those things with her.

If only Juvia were still alive.