Chapter 1

The desert is hot and humid, mounds of deep gold sand and the brightest green cacti, surrounding the trailers on set.

My internship is probably the coolest of anyone at my college, University of New Mexico. Why, you ask? I'm on the set of Marvel's Thor, which is set here in New Mexico. Cool, huh? Now I'm not getting paid for this but it's okay. Every bead of sweat....worth it.

While standing at the food truck ordering a snack, I hear someone call my name. "CHELSEA! Anybody seen Chelsea?!" I run towards the call, to see Thor's director (and my personal hero) Kenneth Branagh motioning me to run faster. "Yes, sir, what can I do for you?"

He takes his headphones off, "I need you to go into Tom's trailer and grab a prop. Blake is off-set today," he says will his smooth English accent. This was the man who I grew up adoring with his amazing portrayals and love for Shakespeare. 

"Which prop?" I ask, my breathing finally settling. "I need you to grab his spear and his helm, which comes in two parts. Blake taught you how to assemble it on the actor, right?" I nod nervously because I've only practiced assembling on a mannequin head. "Today, you are our costume director, yes? Now hurry up, please. We need this shot in today."

I run out of the studio to the costume room. Nothing is in there. I turn around and run another 20 yards to Tom's trailer. I knock on the door, with his publicist Luke answering. "Is Mr. Hiddleston's props in here? Branagh needs them for the shoot right now."

First thing I notice about Tom's trailer is how impeccably clean it is. Nothing scattered about, totally different than Chris Hemsworth's trailer. I see the spear and helm sitting on the table just before the little kitchen area. 

I rush back to the studio, the crew at rest waiting. In handing Tom his spear he whispers something to me. "No need to be nervous, dear." I look up at him, but not by much, he's only 3 inches taller than me. "I'm not nervous, just trying not to setback shooting." He smiles and I begin to place the bottom half of his helm on. 

"Okay, so you have to put this half on first, otherwise it won't mend tight and it'll fall off when you move around too much." He lowers his head a bit as I put it on, making sure some of his black hair sticks out. I put the top half which has these two ginormous horns, locking it in place. "Perfect. Can you move your head around a bit?" He shakes his head, cracking his neck doing so, "Fantastic job, thank you." I look at him, smiling. "No, thank you for being so patient." 

I walk out of the shot, finding a place right behind Kenneth Branagh. He turns to me, "Thank you for being so quick Chels, you can leave after this shot if you'd like, okay?" 

What an experience this is so far, watching a huge blockbuster film being created right before my eyes. Even better, that I get to be a part of it. Right before he calls 'cut' I head out of the studio. The sun is about to set and the temperature cooled down about 5 degrees.

My phone starts vibrating through my pocket. It reads 'Missed Call: Sam.' It's Friday night which means my party-going roommate wants to venture out to some clubs in the city. Ugh. 

Just as I'm about to head home, I hear someone running behind me. I turn around to see Tom, waving his arms, still dressed in full-Loki costume, hel and spear included. "Hey!" he says, breathing heavy, "thanks again for helping me with this costume but umm, I can't seem to get the headpiece off."

Duh Chelsea, you fool. Rule #1: Teach actor how to put on AND take off said prop. "Oh! I'm so sorry, I'm sure you'd rather not walk around New Mexico with that on, people might think your crazy or something." I reach above him taking the horns off first, then the base. "There! All set, just set it in your trailer for tomorrow, Blake will get it then."

I start walking away when he catches up with me. "Have any plans tonight?" he asks, my body firm. "I think so, my roomie wants to go out to some club in the city. Why?" He stares at me with his blue eyes turning a light green from the light. "Just wondering if you'd like to join some us for dinner downtown. Maybe if you two are hungry, you can come down, have a few drinks. On me of course." He pulls out a piece of paper from one of his costumes hidden pockets, writing a phone number.

"Here's Luke's number and mine. Text either one of us if you get bored with the club scene." I take the slip from his hand, shoving it in my purse. "Thanks," he brushes his hair behind his ears. "I should get going then. Hopefully I'll see you tonight, if not, tomorrow? You work on set?"

I nod, "Yeah, I'll be here, not sure where, but I'll be here." We share one last smile before he starts walking back to his trailer.

I get in the cab, setting my purse on my lap, furiously looking for the slip of paper with Tom's number on it. I grab my phone and dial Sam. "Hey, wanna mix it up a bit tonight? I think I know where we could go for dinner."

Sometimes being an intern on a movie set has its perks. One of them jsut happens to be hanging out with movie stars.