Chapter 1

Ashley POV

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

I bursted into the ER.  "What is happening?" I asked.

"Barton Hay, 25, accidental downing in the pool" the nurse announced.

The patient was heavily gasping for air and was trying to breathe very hard. I checked his pulse.

I took my  steth and checked his heart where I heard murmurs. I looked into his pupil.

"It's his heart. It's running out of oxygen" I said. The nurses immediately put the oxygen mask on him.

"Hey..hey.. Barton. I want you to calm down okay....just calm down" I talked through.

"Elevate his legs" I said and the nurses around us did. "We've got you Barton. You need to calm down" I said and he did. His breathing became less erratic.

"You're alright" I said and looked at his neck. He had a big red rash. I checked his hands and they had them too.

"The pool he fell..was it swimming pool?" I asked. She nurse nodded.

"He is allergic to chlorine, put to clean the pool. Give him antibiotics. It'll build his system" I said. The nurses nodded.

"Thank you Dr. King" the guys parents said in relief. "Anytime" I said and walked outside.

Conrad stood near the door leaning on it. "Impressed" he said smirking. God, that smirk.

I pushed him off his pose as we walked out through the corridor.  "That was good work Ash. I'm impressed" he said.

"I'm sorry are you forgetting something?" I asked.

"What?" He looked innocent. I stopped on my tracks.

"Con, I've been a Resident here with you for three years. You don't have to appreciate me Everytime I save someone" I said.

We started walking again. "You forgot the part that we went to the same Med School" he said. I scoffed.

"I'm sure that you didn't even know that I existed in Med school. You never even knew my name" I said.

"Oh....no no no. I remember you. That nerdy girl who sat at the corner of the class but did everything. You were basically a silent killer" he said.

I bumped his arm with my elbow. "Do not mock me." I said. He narrowed his eyes and looked at me.

He came close to my face looking me in my eyes. "Really? What will you do?" He asked. I narrowed my eyes.

"I work here too. And I'm as good as you. Don't try me" I warned with a smile.

He smiled at me. I patted his shoulder. I turned to leave.

"Hey Ash..can you help me..." I cut him off. "...with Nic? Nope. Not happening. I never poke in boyfriend issues of my best friend" I said.

I turned and walked away. But still could feel his eyes on me. That guy is never gonna know my feeling for him.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I walked towards the General ward. On the way, I saw Nic talking with a young intern.

"Hey there, Nikki" I said. She smiled. The intern looked at me. "Devon Pravesh."

"Ashley King" I replied. "What happened? You don't seem happy on your first day" I said.

"He needs a change with his Resident" Nic said. I smiled at him.

"Let me guess, you got Conrad" I said. He nodded. "And did she tell you about tightening bolts?" I asked again she nodded.