Chapter 8

Ashley POV

"I woke her up at 3:00am to tell her that I'm 85% sure I have cancer" the patient Ed spoke. He was with his girlfriend Grace.

"And then refused to make an appointment for six weeks. Kind of backwards, right ,Docs?" She spoke up.

"I hoped the pain would go away" Ed tried to justify. Devon and I looked at each other.

"The number of people who walk in here thinking they have cancer versus the number of people who actually do...."

We heard a knock on the door and Conrad entered.

"No cancer" he said. The couple sighed in relief.

"Bike accident did more did than you thought." Conrad said handing me the report.

"You have an atrophied testicle" Conrad said.

"Uh...well, that doesn't sound good. Will it just heal by itself?" Ed asked.

I looked up from the file. "With this degree of atrophy and your continued pain, the recommended treatment is...."

"Removal" Devon finished mine. They looked shocked.

"Chopping my ball off? Oh, come on, come on, guys. Are you serious?"

"Calm down. I'm sure there are options" Grace tried.

"Will we...still be able to have kids?" Ed asked.

"Absolutely. You only need one healthy guy for that" Conrad said.

"See? That's great news. No more pain and lots of kids.... eventually...one nut" Grace blabbered.

"What does that even look like?"Ed asked.

"Well, can't be worse than the pair. They're hideous" she added.

"Dr. Pravesh will show you some excellent prosthetic options. You'll be as good as new in no time. Right, doctor?" Conrad said.

Devon gave an unbelievable look. I tried to mask my laugh.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was walking around the hospital when I hear my name shouted by Devon from the room I passed by.

I peeked inside. "Devon! Everyone knows my name in this hospital". Conrad, Irving and Mina were also inside.

"I want help. I have this patient who has a syrup bottle in his....."

"Rectum" everyone finished. My eyes became wide.

"Oh...no no no no...not him Please..." I pleaded. Everyone chuckled when Devon looked confused.

"York is the only patient who scares the hell out of Ash" Irving said.

"He doesn't scare me. He's just...he..." I couldn't say anything. Everyone keenly looked at me. I sighed.

"Fine....he scares me a bit" I said. "A bit?" Mina asked smirking.

"Ugh....fine he scares me a lot." I said. Everyone laughed.

"York is your patient now. You will get that thing out of him. You can call Ash for help" Conrad said.

I narrowed my eyes and looked at him. I swiftly turned around and walked out.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We were checking a new patient Christine.

"It was the only way I could think of getting her here. I mean, when I'm sick, she cares. And when she's sick, she doesn't" her son Trevor said.

"Socks off, please" Conrad said. "Oh, come on. What the hell for?" Christine protested.

"Mom. Stop fighting everything and this'll go a lot faster" Trevor said.

"When he's right, he's right. Which is most of the time" she said.

Conrad checked her foot when I checked her stomach. "I thought I was gonna get the best?" Christine said.

"He is the best. Trust me" I defended Conrad. He looked at me touching her feet.

I bent down and touched it to feel it was cold. But the other one was not.

"How long has it been cold?" Conrad asked. "A couple of days. Sometimes my feet are cold" she said.

"Only your left one." I said standing up." So what?" Christine asked.

"You have high blood pressure and abnormal pulsation in your abdomen" Conrad said.

"So, is she gonna be okay?" Her son asked. "Yeah. Just ordering a CT scan to see what's going on" I said.

Me and Conrad walked out. "Do you think what I think it is?" He asked.

"Yes. Abdominal aortic aneurysm" he said. "That's bad"

"She should be fine. As long as it's not increasing in size, and she doesn't escape before in ruptures" he said.

"I need a minute" I said pulling him into a room.

"I am really not so excited each time you pull me into a room" he said smiling.

"Why? Because you think that I'm gonna make you stick here with your pants down?" I asked. He placed his hand on his face.

"Nic told me. Can't imagine you in that situation" I said smirking.

"Ash, I'm trying. Okay. Im trying to change" he said.

"You can't. Because it's who you are. Now did Nic show you these pictures of Lane's clinic?" I asked.

"What do you mean, it's who I am?"he never took my question.

"Con, these are intense. All right. She is prescribing the drugs for money" I tried.

"Is me being me her problem?" He again dodged me. "Will you just stop?"

"I am doing everything, I can to get her back. And she's telling that I am.." fed up of hearing I pushed him behind.

I pushed me back on the wall and put my hand on his mouth.

"Yes, it is who you are. And you can never change it. Now stop bickering about her and move on cause she did. There are many people out there who like you for what you are." I said in a very serious tone.

He looked at me without blinking. "Try finding them, cause they are terribly in need of you" I said.

I turned around swiftly and walked out. He really needs to stop thinking about her and move on.

Not for me but at least for the patients.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"I've ordered for an CT. Once the reports are out, we'll figure out what it is" I said to the patient. He nodded.

I walked out when I came I front of Jude. "Hey, there surgeon" I said.

"Hello Resident. So I want to ask something" he said. "Go on"

"Do you know if....Nic and..." I gave him a stare.

"Okay, can I make one thing sure. Conrad is asking me what he must do to get her back and you are asking me how to get her and in both the cases 'her' refers to Nic, and so you men should really start talking to her and not me!" I said pissed.

"Whoa whoa...calm down. I'll not ask you again. I promise" He said showing both his hands.

"Thank you" I said. "But you have to ask." He said. "Ask what?"

"Ask Conrad out" he said. I rolled my eyes. "Look, Ash I'm not saying this so that it would clear my way for Nic....but I think you've waited long enough." I stopped walking and looked at him.

"Like really long enough" he added.

"Jude, I have patients waiting" I said walking past him without looking at him.

People should really stop getting me on high hopes.

Read. Vote. Comment.