Chapter 14

Ashley POV

"How did they even allow you to tell the bad news to Bobby? I thought Interns cannot do that in VIP wing?" I said. Apparently Bobby will not play this season.

"Well Wilmot was unavailable. Conrad was kicked out of the case after his confrontation. I tried you, but Conrad's words were 'I'm not allowing her near him again'" Devon said.

I shook my head. "Got something on Lane?" I asked. "I've actually asked Priya, my fiance to find few patients. So that we could get a closer look at what is happening" he said. We entered Darryl's room. Conrad was already there.

"Time for you radiation mapping, Mr. Phillips" Devon said.

"I'm ready, I guess" Mary gave him a kiss on his forehead. "Honey, relax. I'll be fine. What could go wrong?" He looked at Conrad as he was strolled out. Me and Conrad exchanged looks.

We walked in the corridor. "Well, I guess if I get more time with Mary, this will all be worth it" Darryl said.

"But will it? Dr. Hunter says we can increase his survival time 25%" Mary said.

"What does 25% linger survival mean? Months? Years?" Darryl asked.

"It's an estimate based on patients with similar cancers using Dr. Hunter's protocol. She's saying they live an additional five weeks." Contact explained.

"Five weeks? Stop this thing" Darryl said as the nurses stopped the stretcher.

"Someone has to talk to me straight. You both are elected" he said to us."Give us a sec, guys" I said to the nurses and the moved out.

"Dr. Hunter could be talking about new radiation techniques that we don't know about. We are Internists, but all treatments and tests have risks"  Conrad said.

"Chemo and radiation are toxic. They have to be, to kill Cancer" I added.

"Just tell me if these treatments will make me die sooner" Darryl asked. Me and Conrad shared a look.

"They will make you feel sicker, nauseous, and will weaken your immune system and that means you're more in danger of getting infections" Conrad said.

"And some of those infections can kill you" I finished. The couple we're a bit shocked.

"Why didn't anybody tell us this before?" Mary asked. I placed a hand on her back.

"No one wants to take away hope, Mary." I said. Darryl pointed at Conrad.

"What would you do if you were me?" Conrad came closer to Darryl.

"I wouldn't want to spend the time I have left at Dr. Hunter clinic. I'd want to spend every minute I have left with her" he said referring Mary.

"Start the paperwork now. Discharge me or I'll walk out of here myself" Darryl said.

"Honey, you can't do that. Can he?" Mary asked us.

"It's a hospital, not a prison" Conrad said. I gave a short nod. "It's called eloping. When a patient slips away without being discharged" I said.

Darryl looked at me. "What about this, uh, chest tube thing?"

"Well, Nikki changed you to a portable statement to make it easier for you here. Mary knows how it works. It's easy and you're dressings changed so..... you're good to go" I said.

"We're gonna have Hospice check on you when you're settled back home...if you choose to leave now" Conrad said. The couple looked at each other.

"Honey, what do you think?" Darryl asked his wife.

"That garage ain't gonna clean itself." She said.

"It's been fun" Darryl said talking out his tubes and getting up. Me and Conrad helped him so did the nurses.

"Help Mr. Phillips back to his room and take our his IV, please" I said.

"Easy. Easy. Easy" Mary said as Darryl climbed out and walked towards his room, Mary helping him.

Mary looked at us and came towards us. "Thank you" she said. Both me and Conrad returned a smile.

"Oh, by the way, you both make a very cute couple" she said. I gave a awkward chuckle.

"We are not a couple" I said. "Oh, then you should be" she said and went to her husband. She turned around once and gave us a wave which I returned.

I looked as they walked away while I felt Conrad's eyes on me. "You're staring" I said.

He looked down. "I slept with Noni" he confessed. "Yeah, I kinda a figured that out" I said.

"Maybe I did it because, I kept failing to get you. I needed to get you out of my head" he said as we started to walk.

"Well, that's bad for Noni" I said. "She's fine. Trust me" he said. We stopped in our tracks as we looked on to the old couple leaving.

"So, did it work for you?" I asked. "Getting you out off my mind. Not for a second" he said. I just couldn't help the big smile that formed on my face.

We took a last look at the couple. "Dr. Lane Hunter" Conrad said. I looked at him.

"What about her?" I asked him. "Tell me everything" he said. I gave out a sigh.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Me and Contact were having a drink. "That was smart. Getting a full panel on Lily" he said.

"Yeah..at least we were able to find it before she could go into conditioning" I said.

"What can we do it get Lane out?" He asked. "I don't know. With her clinic and reports there, it's tough" I said. He gave a worried look.

"Hey" I held his hand. He looked at me. "We'll find a way. We always do" I said.

He gave out a chuckle. "You should think about us working together in many other situations too" he said.

I narrowed my eyes. I knew where he was going. "Conrad..." He cut me off. "No let me talk"

"Yes, I just got over with Nic, I have Daddy issues, we have Lane issues and I did sleep with Noni. Yes, I have a very complicated life...but Ash.." he took both  hands into his.

"I want you with me. I want you to help me get pass those complications because you are the only one who can." He looked at me genuinely.

"You said people want me. But I want you. By my side. Always." He said. I huffed and looked down smiling.

"You fell for my words again, didn't you?" He smirked.

"Oh... there's not a time I've not fell for them" I said laughing. I slowly rubbed his palms.

He was literally looking at me without blinking. "Okay, we must go. We have work tomorrow" I said standing up.

"What..that's it? You never gave me an answer?" He said.

"How about you do something more to get that answer?" I gave him a wink walking away.

I turned around and saw him giving out a grin. At last, I have everything just I wanted it to.

Read. Vote. Comment.