Chapter 13

Ashley POV

"Looks like Lane doesn't go out without a fight. Conrad tried talking to her, but he couldn't succeed. So she ordered for a biopsy and guess what?...Jude volunteered to do it" Nic said just as we entered the VIP wing.

"Well things are not gonna be smooth with Con and Jude. Conrad looks pretty pissed off" I said as we walked.

"I know how he is when he's pissed off and this is not about Jude" she said. I looked at her.

"It's about you. Look, he's trying very hard. After everything happened,he seeks comfort in you. Why don't you just speak to him about your feelings?" She asked.

"I feel..it's too..early and abrupt. After you and him" I said. "We we're never working Ash." She said. We reached to patient's room.

"Now, who is this again?" I asked. "Bobby Singer, celebrity player" she said as I opened the door.

He was lying on the bed and his thighs were pretty swollen. "You must be Dr. King" he said. I looked at Nic.

"He personally recommended you" she said. I looked further into his thigh.

"Looks like DVT. He may need a CT" I said. "Yeah, Conrad figured that out" she said.

"Then why the hell am I here?" I asked. "Because he personally recommended you" she said. I rolled my eyes.

"I just wanted to see you Dr. King. I heard you are one of the best Doctors" he said.

"Thank you. Now Mr. Singer, we'll know what is wrong with you once your CT comes. I'll come and check to it afterwards" I said turning around to leave.

"Dr. King. I want your help. I feel that the thing my body has also bulged out. Can you take a look?" He smirked. My eyes went wide so did Nic's.

"Did you just.." I cut her off. "Nic" I stopped her and looked at him. "You have a very poor method of hitting women. Especially Doctors" I said to him as I pulled Nic out of the room.

"Ash..what are you..." I cut her off again. "Pretend that this didn't happend" I said pulling her futher.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Dr. Hunter, I totally respect you. But I really think Darryl doesn't need this. He's already weak. And he could die of new infections" I tried for the hundredth time.

"Dr. King. Let me make one thing clear. I am the doctor, you are just an Internist. I really appreciate if you work for that level" she said and walked away swiftly.

Conrad came and stood near me. "I'm not even going to try talking to her again" I said.

"Well I want you now to talk to me.Did you just leave that baseball player after he did what psychologically harass you?" He asked.

"Damn Nic!" I spat. "Come on Ash, that's not the right way and you know it. I'm gonna talk to him. He cannot do that" he said.

"No Con. Don't. I don't want you up there" I said walking away.

"Ashley stop!" He said and I did. "I do have my patience. What do you want me to do?" He asked.

"What are you talking about?" I asked. He came forward and pulled me into the room beside us closing the door.

"Do not pretend in front of me. I know exactly how you feel and you know what I feel. What more should I do to get you?" He asked.

I stood there not knowing how to react. "I know it. I know your not that easy. I know how much you value people and I know it's not easy to impress you. But-" I cut him.

"You don't have to impress me to get me Con. If that was the case you would have got me in med school" I spoke.

"Yes, it's true. I have feelings for you. Not today, not yesterday. But back when we were class mates in school. I know you're trying and I can see it. But it's just....." I stopped. He came forwards and stood in front of me.

"What is it?" He asked. "It's... complicated Con. You just got over with Nic. You have father issues. Now we have Lane issues. You're in the thirst to help people  but they are not allowing you to. And I have people around me talking about what you could have did yesterday evening, which I never even attempted to know, cause I know why you did it" I said as tears came down my eyes.

"You are complicated Con. And I don't want to make it more." I said softly.

"People want you more than I want you. So, your focus should only be on them" I said as I walked out of the room.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"I told you not to do it, and you exactly did it. And I told him not to confront Bobby, and he exactly did the same" I said.

"Good, cause that's what should be done to people like Bobby" she said. I looked down.

"You don't look good, and from what I saw he also doesn't look good, did something happens between you two?" She asked. I gave out a shaky breath.

"We had talk" I said. "Oh my God. At last. What happened?" She asked excited.

"Yeah, don't get your hopes up. I told him, I don't want to be another burden in his complicated life" I said. She gave me a hard look.

"What?! Ash...that's stupid" she said. "No it's not." Our pagers beeped. "Darryl" Nic said as we rushed to his room.

We went to see him where Conrad stood of looking at him. Lane was inside.

"Jude perforated his lung pulling out the scope. Great, so now Darryl is stuck with a chest tube and the drainage system until his air leak heals" Conrad said.

"He's fine. We can start the radiation mapping tomorrow as planned" Lane said walking out. Conrad walked with her, trying to talk.

"You're not gonna try?" Nic asked. "Trust me, I've tried" I said. "Where's Jude?"

"Call room. I tried talking . Wanna give a shot?" She asked. I nodded.

I made my way towards the call room and entered in. He was sitting there all alone.

"Hey, you alright?" I asked as I sat near him. "Yeah. Other than I cause an air leak in patient's lungs" he said.

"It's common. You're not the first one." I said. "It'll take two weeks to heal"

"Come on Jude, we need you out there. You tried your best. I'm sure you did it better than Bell. He's killing patients during appendectomy" I said.

He gave a small smile. "That's a bit encouraging" he said. I chuckled.

"No wonder why Conrad's trying so hard to get you. Your just what he needs" he said. I didn't say anything.

"He confronted Bobby Singer for you" he said. "Which I told him not to do" I added.

"It's evident Ash. He's in love with you" I looked at him. "Don't go hard in him"

The door opened and Conrad came in. I stood up giving Jude a small nod and walked put. I could feel Conrad's eyes on me.

Am I doing the right thing of pushing him away?

Read. Vote. Comment.