Chapter 5

Ashley POV

I saw Nic and walked towards her. As I approached I saw Devon, Jude and Conrad.

"Hey, you paged me?" I asked Nic as I reached them.

"Hey Ash!" Jude greeted. "I'm very tempted to hug you, but you do look dirty" I said.

"Mandatory meeting" Nic said. "Is it important? I have patients waiting." I said.

"I thought you were gonna get us out of this?" Conrad asked Devon.

"Yeah, well I told her we had seven open cases" Devon said.

"All residents, all nurses.. let's go" she said. Conrad threw her bag towards Jude.

"I'll see you soon Jude" I said as we followed Nic.

"You smell like barn" Nic said. "I like barns" Conrad replied.

"Never been in one" Devon said. All of us gave him looks.

"What? I grew up in Queens. I've smelled worse, trust me" he said as we entered the meeting.

A women who had very curly hair started to speak.

"Morning everyone. We're here today to talk about reimbursement.  No one's favourite part of the day, right?"

"You've got to be kidding me" I said. Conrad smirked at me.

"Now to simplify doctors and nurses at Chastain need to charge more per procedure" I looked at her unbelievable.

"For example, ear infection. Typically billed to insurance as service code one about..." She pointed Mina who stood blank.

Then she pointed Nic. "$200" she answered rolling her eyes.

"But what if that ear infection took a trip to the brain? That's code four. Serious. Costly. We can bill in the thousands."

My hands turned into fists. This women is nuts. Conrad noticed it and placed his hand on my back.

"So..think CUTE" she put up in screen. "Code. Up. To. Excellence"

Conrad came forward and whispered in my ear. "I'll pull you out off this, if you do me a favor" he said.

"Anything" I said. He smiled and pulled hand.

"Enjoy. We're out" he said to Devon. Once we were out I looked at him thankful.

"That was easy" I said. "Now the favor.." he said and stood in front off me.

"Buy me a drink tonight" he said. I looked him confused.

"Is that all?" I asked. He nodded. "Okay... I'll..." He just kept looking at me.

"I'll....meet you tonight" I stammered. My pager beeped.

"Con..I'm sorry but I have to go. I have about 20 patients waiting for me." I said as I retraced my steps.

"Hey tonight! Do not forget" he shouted as I turned around and ran.

"Done!" I shouted back.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't know why, but patients flood today in Chastian. I had to look continuously.

And I didn't see anyone today except a bunch of nurses. No Nic. No Devon. No Conrad. And half the day just flew by.

Guess they were busy too. I was tired. Like too tired. I just found a seat after a long time and sat down.

I've been running around all morning. I gave out a big sigh and leaned back relaxed on my chair.