Chapter 6

Ashley POV

I looked at Conrad who has been pacing in front of me.

"Con, I'm not a very big fan of pacing..and you've been doing it in front of me for at least an hour" I said.

"I need someone" he said. "Who?"

"A surgeon. For Louisa" he said. I thought for minute and it stroke me.

"You want a special surgeon because all others are backing off" I said.

"So you need a surgeon who loves to cut" I said. "Ash..every surgeon loves to cut"

"Then, you need a surgeon who's terribly in need to cut" I said. He looked at me realizing.

"You are the best" he said smiling and running off.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
All of them were standing in Louisa's room. Conrad saw me and approached towards me.

"Hey..I'm sorry. I couldn't be there during surgery. I got held up by a patient" I said.

"No problem" he said.

"Is she alright?" I asked. "She needs to wake up" he said as we walked forward. I stood leaning on the rim of the door.

Devon was looking into her. She slowly opened her eyes.

"Louisa. Do you have any nausea?" He asked.

"No...I feel okay. You've been so kind to me, all of you. I'll never be able to repay you for this" she said looking at all of us. We gave warm smiles.

"But I'll still need some help on my bio midterm" she said. We chuckled.

"Anytime" Devon said. "So...the operation came off without a hitch. You had a spectacular surgeon"Jude said.

"Cake" Mina added. Louisa looked at me.

"Ashley" she said. "Good to see you back" I said smiling. Bell came inside towards her.

"Hey. Well, you look good. You know, it's really important that we get you up on your feet right away. So...how about you get out of bed and show us how you can walk to the door?"

She nodded. "Okay"

"Let's concentrate. Here we go" she tried to rise but she couldn't.

She tried again grunting but she couldn't. "I'm sorry"

Me and Conrad exchanged looks. Bell stared at Conrad.

"It's okay. You'll be fine." He said walking out. I walked inside.

"Louisa, rehab is gonna be long, hard road, but we all know how tough you are" I said placing my hand on her head.

"You'll get through this" Nic said.

"With some time and care, you'll be right back where you were in a year or so" Devon said.

"We've got you back the whole way" I said. She gave us all a thankful look.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Conrad POV

I was in the bar with Jude. "Thorpe could've had you canned on the spot" he said.

"Well, I get fired, it makes the decision for me, right? "

"I show up tomorrow at Fort Beanning, 6:00am. Hell, you could be there with me"

I chuckled."so, you know, I've been meaning to ask, you and Nic...that still a thing?" He asked.

I sighed. "She doesn't think so, but....I think she's worth fighting for. Don't you?" I asked.

"Oh hell yeah. Game on. But so is she" he said looking somewhere. I traced his sight to see Ashley.

"I know it. I've seen it. Do not give her up without a fight" he said leaving.

She came towards me waving her hands. I looked at her without blinking. Maybe I should fight for her.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ashley POV

Sunlight beamed through my window directly on my face. I stirred a little and slowly opened my eyes.

I took my phone to look at the time, but today's date struck me. The day I hate the most in my life.

The date which was my first day as Resident. The date when my parents died.

It was a bad morning for sure. I didn't even want to get out from my bed.

So I didn't. I covered myself with the blanket. I must go to work. Maybe after sometime.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I locked my car and made my way towards the entrance of the hospital.

When I entered, it was completely chaos. Patients, stretchers, nurses running here and there.

"What the hell happened here?" I asked one of the nurses. "Dr. King, it was a bus accident. And we are seriously understaffed" she said.

"Why didn't you page me?" I asked. She looked down without saying anything.

"Why didn't you page me?" I asked again. "He told us not to" she said.

"Who?" I asked.

"Dr. Hawkins" she said.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"It's just a mild fracture. You'll recover by two weeks" I told the patient.

I looked at Conrad getting out of the elevator and I approached him. Once I was in front of him, I pulled him inside the room beside and locked the door.

"Did you tell the nurses to not page me?" I said. " Ash..." I cut him off.

"Are you serious Con? You have the patients flooding and half of the staffs are not even on the premises..and you told them not to page me. What is wrong with you idiot!?" I asked.

"Nothing.....nothing is wrong with me. But I know everything is wrong with you" he said. I looked at him.

"I know what day it is. And I know what you feel" he said. I looked down as tears formed in my eyes.

"It's..it's just. I hate it. I hate to...."

"To work. Especially in this particular day. Ash...." He said holding my face.

"It's been three years. Each and everyday you blame yourself for what happened. You don't even talk about it" he said.

"You are a doctor. You know that this pain can be reduced only if you talk it out" I looked down again tears running down my cheek.

"I miss them. I miss them so much..."

"They always wanted to see me as a Doctor. And they didn't even survive a day to see me" I cried. He placed both his hands on my face.

"And I didn't save them" he made me look at him.

"Hey...I've been telling you. I am telling you. It was never your mistake" he said wiping my tears.

"Come here...come here" he said pulling me. He wrapped his hands around me tightly as I did the same.

I felt so relieved. I was going through it. And he is there to support me.

Read. Vote. Comment.