06. 𝘄𝗲𝗹𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝘆𝗱𝗿𝗮

"VOLUNTEERS, WELCOME."

     The room provided for the long list of volunteers was filled with Sokovians. Many accepted the proposition given by Strucker, all tempted by the mere thought of powers. Nearly 2-dozen people had arrived. The world was soon changing, and they were so close that Hydra was on the tip of the edge. Eszter was baffled by the crowd that Hydra managed to scavenge from the protest earlier from the day, they stood around and waited for the next step. A bunch of fools who believed that they could change the world, a bunch of blind people running into the fire, thinking they'll be able to change the world.

     Strucker saw a way to unlock new treasures, to search for a new awakening; here, in Sokovia, a broken country, easy targets. Easy subjects. Strucker found himself an easy target with the devastating world, with angry people, the man couldn't think of a better place.

     The Hydra base was hidden far, far away, but nothing like a fairytale. Their team had sought refuge and deemed Sokovia fit, with them being in an abandoned building somewhere in the mountains. Barely any light shined inside the building, which is what Eszter had noticed. After they arrived, Eszter was given a blanket from one of the Hydra men. Eszter had never noticed this building hidden in the mountains. Never had she had seen such a thing before. Strangely, Hydra contained a lot of technology; somehow, it works in the mountains.

     "Your future awaits," Strucker smirks, eyeing each person in the room, pleased. "I know you are all wondering: why you? And for that, I have an answer-there's a spark inside you, and I'm only here to unleash it. Something magnificent." It was silent, but Strucker continues. "Now, I know what you must be thinking, but trust me, this is very much safe." Strucker lies through his teeth, but no one knew that but him and his team. "Each one of you will participate in our test, and we hope you will succeed."

     "What if we don't," someone wonders within the crowd.

     Strucker hums at the question, he paces the floor. "Then you may walk freely," another man began to walk into the room. Strucker notices him. "Allow me to introduce you all to the great doctor himself, Doctor List."

     Doctor List nods curtly, pursing his lips tightly as he practically refuses to smile. His accent was thick, almost hard to decipher. "Welcome, everyone. I am glad that each of you had decided to take a stand for your country. We have given you each a room to stay in, and I advise you to stay in them until otherwise."

     Eszter felt uneasy at the thought of leaving Wanda and Pietro's side. They have never left another's side, always been together since the death of their parents. Eszter wasn't sure whether she was okay with the idea, hesitant to leave her brother and sister, but the teenager had to comply. Their world is changing, and she has to let it happen.

     Strucker walks towards the room's side, where he messes with a few buttons, the screen changes until a strange object pictures onto the screen. Eszter furrows her brows, unsure what they were supposed to be looking at, and she wonders what it could be. Whatever it was, it must possess a lot of power. A scepter was all Eszter could see, but still, the girl couldn't think of anything; however, she was rather surprised because the scepter held something blue and strange at the top of it. What made the scepter so special, and how could it possibly be granting them powers?

     Eszter tilts her head in awe, the teenager was entranced by the glowing stone that has captivated her attention. The scepter was interesting, and a divine object; Eszter wonders where such a magical thing is from. Again, Eszter wondered exactly what it was and its purpose.

     "This . . . this is the Scepter, which was mastered by the God of Mischief--Loki Laufeyson, himself. A prince of Asgard," Strucker announces, catching everyone's attention. "This will grant you your powers."

     Skeptical, Eszter inquires. "How did you get it?"

     Merely grinning at the question, Strucker was glad someone had asked. "During the invasion in New York, we were able to retrieve it after the Avengers had so-called saved the world," Strucker clicks his tongue, chuckling bitterly. "Like fools, they gave it to us personally."

     "They didn't know?" Another asked.

     "The Avengers doesn't worry about anything concerning behind the scenes unless they're in the middle of it," Strucker responds, eyeing everyone. "The only reason they ever show up is to make sure their precious city doesn't get destroyed. And yet, they left as soon as the job was done."

     Small chatter began to form at the slightest, most concerned about themselves, others about the Avengers, and some about the Scepter. The Avengers were shortly known as a group of heroes. However, they soon became a group of heroes who leave right after the ugly is done; instead, they leave the mess for the world to clean up after them, like children who needed to be cleaned after. The Avengers were no better than the evil people out in the world.

     "So, I ask you this," Strucker strides towards the front of the group, excited to further their experiment. "Are you all still up for it?" The silence was almost deafening in the ears, like a silent call in the air. No one had said anything. It all felt like empty promises, but at the same time, no one wanted to cower anymore. Altogether, the crowd cheers Strucker on. "Well, then. Welcome to Hydra."

     Suddenly, people began to cheer ecstatically, excited to live in a new world where they are superior to the Avengers. Life was beginning to change, and the world will soon witness it; Hyrda will first establish a new awakening. An experiment that remained ominous, Eszter still was ready to proceed.

     Eszter squeals in surprise when she was suddenly lifted from the ground, someone was hugging her. Placed back on the ground, Eszter turned around and threw herself back into Pietro's arms; Wanda falls into their hug next, wrapping her arms around both of her siblings. Maybe they should go with it, to follow through with Hydra's plan. They were going to do what's right in their mind, and that's by making the world a better place. They'll be the ones to help fix everything.

     Their hugs soon turned more somber as this might be the last time they might see each other. Eszter clutches tightly against the fabric of their clothes. There was no telling when they would see each other, but it wasn't going to be a goodbye, but a see you later.

     If only they knew that this test doesn't allow them to walk home if it fails.