14. 𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝗮 𝗯𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗹𝗱

THE AVENGERS WERE BROKEN. They succeeded in their plan and brought chaos to the group of heroes, leaving them to fall back into their worst nightmares. Everything was falling into play, only until Eszter came across Clint and his electric arrows; sending the shock through her head, Eszter had lost her train of thought from the sheer pain she had gone through that moment. Luckily for her, Pietro came to her rescue and helped her remove the arrow, giving Eszter more ease from the pain. But Eszter couldn't believe she could manipulate one's emotions, and she had to Steve. It was strange; she could feel everything that he had felt, and although she intensified his emotions, Eszter never knew how broken Steve really is.

     However, on their way to Korea, Eszter had too much time to dwell on her thoughts; flashes of nearly killing someone haunt her. For a moment, Eszter was terrified of herself. She nearly had killed someone, and for whatever reason, Eszter didn't mind it. She wanted to kill him.

     Eszter could've committed murder in a split second. Not a moment of thought would've crossed her mind until the deed was done. Had it not been for Steve, Eszter surely would've succeeded and spilled blood on her hands.

     Every time Eszter closes her eyes, the enhanced can see the smoke making its way towards the man and then piercing his body as her victim screams. She can hear the way he was gasping for air, begging for her to show him mercy. Eszter didn't falter, nor did she flinch as she was letting it happen.

     What the hell was happening?

     Eszter wants to destroy the Avengers, but she never actually thought a lot about killing; maybe she did, but to actually do it, Eszter wasn't sure if she'd want to. The thought of killing someone terrifies her, sending shivers down her spine as goosebumps form on her arms. No one knew, not even Wanda or Pietro, and Eszter was afraid to tell them.

     God, this is terrifying.

     Ultron had been gone for some time, having the enhanced wait until he deems the building safe enough for them to enter. He will keep his promise to Eszter, even if it goes to some extent, Ultron will assure the girl each time. Eszter and the twins were waiting on the roof of the building, staring at her hands.

     "Why the long face?" Pietro suddenly appears beside Eszter; catching the girl off-guard, he sits beside her. "We beat the Avengers. We won." A strand of hair fell loosely from behind Eszter's ear, and at this point, the girl was too distracted to care about the hair whipping her face. Pietro takes note of her silence. "Hey, what's wrong?"

     "I thought these powers would be a miracle," Eszter pauses, creating the violet energy around her hands.

     Pietro frowns, confused by the sudden change of feelings. "And they are," he responds hesitantly, but Eszter shook her head in denial. Now, Pietro was growing more concerned. "Tell me."

     A tear managed to break loose and fall onto her face, but Eszter quickly swipes it dry before Pietro could notice. "I almost did something bad, Pietro," the girl's voice cracks. "Something I would've regretted right after."

     Pietro's heart clenched at the heart-wrenching scene, and he never liked when Eszter would cry. But this time, it was different. Eszter was terrified and full of regret, horrified by her actions. It remained a mystery as to what caused the distress in Eszter, and Pietro was growing more anxious the longer she waits.

     "What did you almost do?" Pietro wonders, worried. But when Eszter doesn't respond, Pietro was thinking of the worst. "Eszter, what did you almost do?"

     Pursing her lips, Eszter pushes the heel of her palm against her forehead, trying to stay calm. "I almost . . . killed someone, Pietro," dropping her hand back onto her lap, Eszter could feel the lump in her throat growing. "And I liked it. It was like something came over me, and I wanted to do it."