two ✔

I stood in front of the mirror and fixed my hair. I looked down at the dress I was wearing, a plain black one with plain black heels. I don't like dresses, but you know... It's the 1940's and women have to wear them. I put on pale pink lipstick and grimaced, I also hated wearing makeup, it made me feel like I was showing society what they wanted rather than who I really am.
    I walked out of my bedroom and into the living-room where Howard was sitting on the couch, he looked over once he heard the click of my heels.
    "You're finally ready." he stated getting off the couch and walking to the coat rack grabbing his jacket.
    "Sorry, but I have to make sure that I please society's standards for a woman." I said with an eye roll as we walked out my apartment door, I live in Brooklyn while Howard lives more towards New York City.
    "Yeah, well we could be late." he said as we walked down the stairs to his car.
    I rolled my eyes again. "It's practically your show Howard, it can't start without you."
    "True."
    We reached his car and he opened the passenger door for me. I got in and shut the door as he made his way around to the drivers side.
    The drive was quiet, there wasn't much to talk about between me and Howard. He was 25, a year older than me, so we've spent our entire lives together.
    My thoughts wandered to Steve, a smile on my face, which apparently Howard noticed.
    "Why do you have that day dreamy look on your face?" he asked.
    "What do you mean? It's just my face." I said as my cheeks turned pink. Howard chuckled lightly.
    "Alright, who is he?" he asked.
    How could he get that from one fucking look? I thought.
    "What do you mean?" I asked a little nervous and embarrassed. Nervous about my feelings and embarrassed about telling my older brother my feelings about Steve.
    "I've seen that look before, it's the way women look at me." he explained. "So who is he? Who is the lucky guy that makes my younger sister swoon?"
    "He's just... this amazing guy from Brooklyn... He's smart, funny, caring, artistic, and not that bad to look at." I said with a chuckle. "His father was in the hundred seventh infantry and his mother worked as a nurse... He so desperately wants to serve his country but they won't let him due to his long list of health problems." I explained.
    "Well, the war needs strong men, (Y/n), you know that." Howard said.
    I rolled my eyes. "Yes... But he is a different kind of strong. Sure, he may not be physically strong but he is the most resilient man I have ever met... And all he wants to do is serve like his parents did, but they won't even let him do that." I said looking at my hands that rested in my lap. "His best friend has been drafted, and you pulled me into the SSR... he has no one left, Howard, and I don't want to leave him all alone." I said as a tear slipped from my eye, I quickly wiped it away and cleared my throat.
    "Well... what do you want me to do, (Y/n)?" Howard asked glancing at me.
    I bit my lip and shrugged. "Can't you ask your supervisors if there is anything he can do?"
    "I'll see if there's anything." Howard sighed, I smiled widely at him. "Don't say I never did anything for ya," he said with a smile.
    "Thanks, Howie." I said with a huge grin.
···············
    "I don’t see what the problem is. You’re about to be the last eligible man in New York. You know, there’s three and a half million women here." Bucky said as they walked to the event.
    "Well, I’d settle for just one." Steve said with a smile as his cheeks turned pink at the thought of a certain (e/c) eyed, (h/c) haired woman.
    "Good thing I took care of that." Bucky said with a smile as he waved to the dates, Connie and Bonnie, he had lined up for the two of them.
    "Hey, Bucky!" Connie said.
    Steve's smile dropped as he looked at the two women his friend had gathered. "What did you tell her about me?"
    "Only the good stuff." Bucky said.
···············
    I stood in the front row and waited for Howard's thing to be over, to be honest, I wanted to go home, these heels are killing me. Music started to play and an announcer began to speak as the crowd drew in.
···············
    "Welcome to the Modern Marvels Paviliion and the World of Tomorrow. A greater world. A better world." a voice announced.
    "Oh, my God! It’s starting!" Connie said excitedly.
···············
    "Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Howard Stark!" Mandy announced, I crossed my arms as Howard entered the stage and kissed her.
    "I love you, Howard!" A random woman shouted. I chuckled lightly.
    You wouldn't if you knew him. I thought with a smile.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, what if I told you that in just a few short years, your automobile won’t even have to touch the ground at all." Howard said addressing the audience and the female helpers take the wheels of the car onto the stage. "Yes. Thanks, Mandy." he said to her then turned to the audience once more. "With Stark robotic reversion technology, you’ll be able to do just that."
    I watched my brother as he turned on the switch of the machine and the car started to hover off the ground. I smiled at the success.
···············
    "Holy cow." Bucky said looking at the sight before him, the robots making the car hover suddenly malfunction and the car fell back on stage.
    "I did say a few years, didn’t I?" Howard said causing everyone to laugh.
    "Hey, Steve, what do you say we treat these girls…" he said turning to his friend, only to see that he's dissapeared.
···············
    I looked around for Steve and Bucky, but didn't see them. I frowned and walked away from Howard's show, completely forgetting about meeting some of the SSR's.
    I walked into a recruitment center, and smiled as I saw woman and a male standing in front of a mirror that made him look like a soldier.
    "Come on, Soldier." she said pulling him away from the mirror. I turned to walk out but bumped into someone.
    "S-sorry!" I said looking up at the person, but not having to look up that much seeing that is was Steve.
    "No problem, (Y/n)." Steve said with a smile. He stepped in front of the mirror but was too short to fill out the face, he had a slightly sad look on his face.
    "I can pick you up if you want..." I joked trying to lighten the mood, he turned to me and chuckled, causing me to giggle. Steve's chuckle, and his laugh, are things to live for.
    "Come on." a voice said causing both of us to turn, it was Bucky. "You’re kind of missing the point of a double date. We’re taking the girls dancing."
    I looked down at my shoes, my heart hurting slightly. I mean, it's not like we're a thing, and it's not like he knows how I feel... So why does this bug me so much.
    "You go ahead." Steve said glancing toward me. "I’ll catch up with you."
    "You’re really gonna do this again?" Bucky asked, I looked up at Steve, he was going to try enlisting again... For the sixth time.
    "Well, it’s a fair. I’m gonna try my luck." Steve stated, I smiled slightly at his determination.
    "As who? Steve from Ohio? They’ll catch you." Bucky said looking at him. "Or worse, they’ll actually take you."
    "Look, I know you don’t think I can do this..." Steve said looking at Bucky.
    "This isn’t a back alley, Steve. It’s war!" Bucky exclaimed. I looked between the two, weary about what was going to happen.
    "I know it’s a war. You don’t have to tell me." Steve said.
    "Why are you so keen to fight? There are so many important jobs."
    I feel like if Bucky would put himself in Steve's shoes he would realize why he is so keen on doing this... He's lost his parents, his two friends are going to the war, and he'll be all alone. When life takes away all the things he cares about, he is always left with one thing... The love of his country, and now they won't even let him fight for it.
    "What am I gonna do? Collect scrap metal…"
    "Yes!" Bucky yelled.
    "…in my little red wagon."
    "Why not?"
    "I’m not gonna sit in a factory, Bucky." Steve said looking up at him.
    "I don’t…" Bucky began.
    "Bucky, come on! There are men laying down their lives. I got no right to do any less than them. That’s what you don’t understand. This isn’t about me." Steve explained.
    "Right. Cause you got nothing to prove." Bucky said.
    "Hey, Sarge! Are we going dancing?" a girl asked, I turned and looked at her and her friend, then back to Steve and Bucky.
    Bucky turned to the girls. "Yes, we are." then he turned back to Steve. "Don’t do anything stupid until I get back."
    "How can he? You’re taking all the stupid with you." I said with a smirk, causing Steve to laugh.
    "You’re both punks." Bucky said giving Steve a hug, and then me one as well.
    "And you're a Jerk. Be careful." Steve said as Bucky walked toward the girls. "Don’t win the war till I get there!"
    Bucky turns back toward us and salutes Steve then starts to walk away. "Come on girls. They’re playing our song."