I.Contemporary Korean Slang

[A/N: Sorry,Ive been gone for days (Im busy waching kdramas. Hahaha.Im sharing my #kdramaseries on my ig story. Check me out! its @j_swaegg screencap on mm)  Blackpink's comeback got delayed.And there's a leak photo of bp's unofficial lightsticks everywhere.WE TRUST YOU PAPA YGㅜㅜ WANNA ONE will have a comeback on june.Teaser photos are so so good, my boys are so handsome esp Daniel. Im freakin excited for the another era. Bangtan just comeback yesterday. Errrbody gone crazy!!! So lit! I need to check out the whole tracks of the album. ]

#RoadTo1kVotes

1. 남사친 – A guy who is “just a friend”

is short for 남자, meaning “man”

is short for 사람, meaning “person”

is short for 친구, meaning friend.

Put them all together, and you get man-person-friend, or a male friend.
Guys, you can use the same term for a girl who is your friend but isn’t your girlfriend. Change the 남 to 여 (여자), and you’ve got 여사친!

2. 남친 / 여친 – Boyfriend or girlfriend

Like lots of Korean slang (and indeed Korean words in general), these words come from taking the first parts of two other words. Can you guess which words they are made up of? 남친 comes from 남자 친구 and 여친 comes from 여자 친구. That should save you some typing time on KakaoTalk when you ask somebody if they have a boyfriend or girlfriend.

3. 꿀잼 –  Something that is fun, funny, or interesting

꿀 means ‘honey’.
잼 is short for 재미있어요, which means ‘interesting.
If you put them together, you get ‘꿀잼’, which can be used to describe something that is fun or interesting.

4. 노잼 – Something that is not fun, funny, or uninteresting 

The evil twin of 꿀잼 is 노잼.
노 means “no” or “not”
잼 is the first part of 재미있어요,  meaning interesting.
So if you see something that you don’t think is fun or funny, you can say “노잼!”

5. 솔까말 – To speak openly and honestly

솔 stands for 솔직히 with means “honestly”.

The 까 and 말 parts come from 까놓고 말하다, meaning “speak your mind”.

The full phrase is 솔직히 까놓고 말하다, but you can keep it simple. When you want someone to tell it to you straight, use 솔까말.

6. 더럽게 – Badly

Literally means ‘dirtily’ (from 더럽다), but is often used to mean ‘badly’, for example 더럽게 못생기다 would mean ‘really ugly’ and ‘더럽게 느리다’ would mean ‘really slow’ (referring to a slow computer perhaps).

7. 품절남/녀 (되다) – Man or woman who just got married

품절 is another expression for sold out (매진), coming from the hanja for product (품) and gone (절). The words 품절남 and 품절녀 literally mean ‘sold-out man’ and ‘sold-out woman’, they refer to somebody (a celebrity or popular friend) who has just got married and is therefore off the market for dating.

It can be used with the verb 되다 which means ‘to become’. For example, 품절녀가 됐어요 means ‘she got married’.

To say ‘she got married’ you can also use the word 시집갔어요 which is a real word (not slang) literally meaning ‘she went to the in-laws house’. For guys, you can use 장가갔어요 instead.

8. 모쏠 – Someone who has never had a boyfriend or girlfriend

This word is short for for 모태 솔로, which is a term used to describe someone who has been “solo” their entire life, since being born. 

9. 극혐 – Extreme disgust

Short for 극한의 혐오, this phrase . 극한 means “limit or extreme” and 혐오 means “hatred, disgust or revulsion” so put them together and you’ve got a shortened phrase that means just that — extreme disgust! Use this any time you want to point out that something is very disgusting or revolting, like when you venture into the weird parts of YouTube!

10. 밀당 – Push and pull

This is a combination of the verbs 밀다 (to push) and 당기다 (to pull). However, in this case the words do not literally mean pushing and pulling as in a tug of war or a door. This slang word refers to the flaky actions people take in romantic relationships, “playing games” with each other where one minute they’re hot and the next they’re cold. You can also use this as a verb in the form 밀당하다.

11. 맛점 – Delicious lunch

Short for 맛있는 점심, this word simply describes a “delicious lunch.” Want to describe a delicious dinner and sound cool doing so? Just use 맛저, short for 맛있는 저녁! Shortening things really is easy, isn’t it?

12. 만렙 – Level 10,000

Another shortened phrase, 만렙 is a combination of 만 (10, 000) and 레벨 (level).
you ever played an RPG or strategy game like World of Warcraft where your character increases in level after making certain achievements? This phrase refers to someone who is a master or something, and their level is so good it is like they have achieved the maximum level in a game! But don’t worry, you can use this phrase for anything — someone who is good at lifting weights, building things, or studying (not only games)!

13. 쪼렙 – Beginner level

This word is just the opposite of the previous! There are the masters, and then there are the beginners, or the “newbs.” This word is a slightly altered version of 쪼그만한 레벨, meaning a small or low level. Not good at tennis and want to let your partner know before the match starts? Let them know you’re 쪼렙 and you’ll be sure to get a laugh. 

14. 심쿵 – Heartthrob (huge crush)

심쿵 is like a type of emotional heart attack you feel when you see or think about your crush or someone you find extremely attractive! Remember it by knowing that 심장 means “heart” and 쿵쿵 is the “thud” or “booming” sound your heartbeat makes! 

15. 댓츠노노 – That’s no no

댓츠노노 (“that’s no no) is a Konglish phrase that originated on a popular TV program, and is sure to get laughs! You can use it anytime you disagree with someone or something, or want to say “no.”