Getting to Know You

Tuesday, April 5, 2005
Domino University

After splitting off from Jou, Yugi made his way cautiously into Building A by means of a side door that he had chanced upon yesterday, in a bid to avoid anymore bullies. This wing of the school was very sparsely populated, to say the least.

As he passed by one of the only two bathrooms in this wing, he heard the sound of heartbroken sobbing coming from within. Cautiously, he pushed the door open and walked in, only to stop and stare at the sight before him: Slumped over in the darkened corner behind the last stall was Atem, whole body shaking as he sobbed his heart out.

Never in a million years would Yugi have expected to see someone with a reputation like Atem's huddled in the corner of a bathroom, crying as though his entire world had crumbled to pieces. What was going on here?

"Atem?" Yugi called softly.

At the sound of Yugi's voice, Atem's head snapped up, revealing bloodshot eyes and a tearstained face.

Yugi took a step closer.

"You OK?"

Atem jumped to his feet and locked himself in the nearest stall.

'What the hell?' thought Yugi.

"Atem. It's Yugi," Yugi called through the stall door. "Remember? You saved me from two bullies and we played Duel Monsters yesterday."

A few muffled sobs.

"L-leave me alone," Atem's voice sounded through the door.

"I will, if that's what you want. But first, I just wanted to say sorry for pumping you about the circle yesterday. I should've let it go when you said no," said Yugi softly.

A few more sobs, followed by some sniffles.

Yugi sighed and turned away.

"I'll go," he said softly.

A click followed by a squeak as the stall door swung open staid Yugi's footsteps. He turned around and looked into Atem's tear dampened face. Before he could say anything, Atem spoke in a shaky voice.

"I apologize for s-snapping at you yesterday," he stuttered.

"Atem?" Yugi said.

With a sniffle, Atem continued.

"I enjoyed our duels and would like to duel you again soon. Not in a circle or a tournament; just as we did yesterday," he continued, voice steadying as he went along.

"Me too. How about at lunch?" offered Yugi, extending his hand.

Atem appeared to flinch at the proffered hand for a second before recovering himself and taking it.

"I'd like that very much," he sniffled, watery smile gracing his features.

"OK! I'll bury you!" Yugi teased gently.

A stronger smile lit Atem's features just a bit as his hand absently squeezed Yugi's.

"We shall see, shan't we?" he teased back. "For now though, we must get to class."

"Wanna sit next to me?" Yugi asked hopefully.

"Yes," Atem responded happily, again squeezing Yugi's hand.

"Why dontcha blow your nose and splash some water on your face?" Yugi suggested. "If any of those upperclass bullies see you've been crying, they'll be merciless."

"Hn! An excellent idea," Atem returned, releasing Yugi's hand and approaching the sink.

Yugi and Atem exited the bathroom and went to class, Yugi with a song in his heart. If anyone stared or whispered about Yami walking with someone, neither tricolor noticed.