Fly By Night Rescue

Thursday, April 14, 2005
Domino University

Yugi's heart sank as Atem sat stiffly at a desk two rows away from his, gaze straight forward, face set in a stony scowl, the same rigid, angry figure that he had been on the first day of their acquaintance.

'Gods, Atem. What's that old guy doing to you?' he thought worriedly.

Later...

Yugi cautiously peeked around the building's corner and watched the lone figure cross the field to the oak tree in the distance. He flinched when Atem slammed his backpack to the ground and slumped gracelessly at the tree's trunk, drawing his knees to his forehead and hiding his face as he huddled away from the world.

'Definitely an unsociable mood today,' he thought with a dismal sigh as he turned away and headed for the courtyard.

Yugi and Jou sat at the picnic table having lunch, even as Yugi's gaze repeatedly meandered in the direction of the old oak tree, under which sat a lonely Egyptian with a desolate soul.

"Yami fin'ly scare ya off?" Jou teased without malice.

"No," huffed Yugi. "I'm not scared of him, Jou. He can be scary sometimes, but that's not the same thing as being scared of him. It's a system we worked out: If he's having a rough day, he sits away from me in class and I know he won't want anyone around him at lunch."

"I see. So... ya talked t' 'm 'bout comin' ovah yet?" Jou asked.

"Not yet. He's been having some problems and I wanna wait till the right time. Otherwise, he might freak out again," answered Yugi.

"Look, Yuge. How 'bout dis? Since Yami's int' Duel Monstahs, I bet he'd love t' see mah Red Eyes," said Jou. "Tell 'm I'll ante it in a duel 'gainst 'm. No self-respectin' duelist'd pass dat up!"

"That's a great idea, Jou. I'm sure he'd love to hear the story of how you got it too," suggested Yugi.

For the story of how Jou got his favorite Duel Monsters card was the stuff of legends.

"Yep. I'll tell 'm da story if ya kin git his ass ovah," smiled Jou.

"OK, Jou. I'll give it a try," said Yugi. 'Though I wonder if it'll work...'

Friday, April 15, 2005
Domino University

Yugi sighed in relief as Atem sat down next to him and smiled.

"Guten morgan, Yugi," his deep voice rumbled.

"Hallo, Até," Yugi returned.

An elegant eyebrow shot up at this sobriquet of his name. However, Atem made no objections.

"This class grows more challenging by the day. I have a feeling we'll have much to go over at lunch," he spoke at length.

"Yeah," agreed Yugi.

12 o'clock

As Yugi made his way toward the exit, he was surprised to find Atem waiting for him there instead of already sitting under the oak.

"Hi, Até!" he chirped excitedly.

"Hello, Yugi," rumbled Atem.

With no further words, the two made their way to the oak tree, where they were soon eating rice balls and sushi rolls in companionable silence.