twelve • 12

-trigger warning-
The kiss ended as they stared breathlessly at each other. A rosy tint covered their cheeks, slightly more prominent on Connor's pale skin, eyes wide as saucers.

"I-I'm sorry, uh-" Connor stammered, breaking eye contact as he shook his head and looked at his lap.

"Don't be." Evan stated confidently. "I have no complaints."

Connor bit back a smile as he looked at Evan with fake confidence, "So you wouldn't mind if I did it again?"

Evan smiled and took a subtle deep breath as they returned their previous positions, eyes fluttered shut and hands tangled in each other's hair as rain fell around the parked car.

Evan walked through his front door, soaked from the pouring rain, hood over his head, hoping to hide the purple marks on his neck from his mom.  Luckily, this wasn't an issue; she was asleep on the couch with a glass of wine on the table, a dim tableside lamp on, and the ending of an episode of The Bachelor on the television.  Evan took it upon himself to turn off the television and lamp before covering her with the softest blanket they owned before heading up to his own bedroom and seeing more texts from Jared.

Jared
How was your date tree boi

Evan
Great, thanks for asking.

Jared
Hold the fuck up
You didnt  deny that it was a date this time
Omg tree boi are you dating connor now

Evan
No, I'm not dating Connor.
I'm too tired to argue this.

Jared
Ooh tree boi what juicy details are you not sharing
Did you kiss O.o

Evan
Goodnight, Jared.

Jared
Wait just a burger-flippin second
Evan did you guys actually kiss

Evan
Why does it matter?

Jared
It doesn't i guess
Just
Nevermind goodnight

     Evan stared at the phone in confusion before sighing and putting it to the side, enveloping his room in total darkness.  The next morning, Evan ran into Jared in the hall, who didn't even bother to say hi or acknowledge his presence.

     "Jared?" Evan asked, closing his eyes tightly before turning around to face Jared who was looking up and sighing.

     "Yeah, Ev?" Jared smiled with annoyance, walking closer to Evan, "What's up?"

     "I just... Sorry, n-nevermind."

     "No, you've already stopped me.  What is it?"

     "Are you... mad at me?"

     "Just because somebody doesn't say hi every time they see you doesn't mean they're mad at you."

     "You didn't answer me."

     "I'm not mad.  I'm just... frustrated."

     "Why?"

"Does it matter?"

"Kind of!"

"I'm gonna be late for class, Evan. I'll see you later." And with that, Evan was left standing by himself in the middle of the hallway, biting his lip until a hand on his shoulder brought him back into reality.

"Evan?" Connor tried, "Dude, are you good?"

"Jared is mad at me and I don't know why..." Evan whispered as he looked up at the ceiling and sighed.

"I'm not good with this kind of thing, 'cause your friends can't get mad at you if you don't have any. But, uh, did you, like, retrace your steps? Is there anything at all - even the smallest thing - that could have pissed him off?"

"Don't b-be mad, please."

"What?"

"He asked if we kissed, and I, like, didn't deny it? I didn't confirm it either, b-but-"

"Oh, my God!" Connor began to laugh.

"I'm s-sorry, I just-"

"Ev, no, I'm not mad. Kleinman is into you!"

"Wait, what?"

"C'mon, Ev. He blew up your phone the whole time we were out on our... whatever it was, he makes fun of you all the time, and he got mad when he found out you kissed another guy? What do you think that means? He likes you! But, I mean, who could blame him? You're gorgeous." He winked.

"Did you just- Did you quote Mean Girls on me, Connor?"

"Shh, what are you gonna do about Kleinman?"

"I mean... I don't f-feel that way."

"So tell him."

"Have you met me?"

Suddenly, the bell rang as they parted ways, promising to continue the conversation during lunch. When Evan walked into his first period, he found that Jared had moved his seat to the opposite side of the room. When they had to pair up for partner work, Jared looked straight past him and to Alana. Evan could feel his eyes well up with tears as he fled to the bathroom with his backpack in his arms.

The bathroom was eerily empty, the dim light creating a buzzing noise in the lonely room. Evan locked himself in a stall before tossing his bag to the dirty tile floor and digging through it until he found his phone. Carefully, he removed the case and found what he'd hidden inside. He slowly grabbed the silver blade from the case and took a deep breath before closing his eyes and dragging it across his wrist - once, twice, three times until he stopped counting and his breathing was rigid.

His entire body shook as he realized what he'd done. Not that he'd self-harmed, but that he'd left his sweater at home and had no way of covering it up. He panicked before cleaning himself up and praying for a miracle. This miracle came in the form of a lanky brunette wearing his signature black hoodie.

"Oh, wow," Connor smiled at him, "Long time no see."

"Yeah. Haha, right. Um, s-so listen. It's like, really freaking cold in my class. So, uh-"

Before he could finish, Connor was sliding himself out of his hoodie as Evan grabbed it with his good arm. He slipped his bad one in when Connor turned his back, fully evading any lecture that may transpire if Connor had noticed.

"Thank y-you! God, thank you s-so much. Uh, I should, um, probably head b-back."

"No, yeah, go on. See you at lunch."

They waved awkwardly as Evan left, returning to class before the teacher could tell he was missing but after the group work had ended. He and Jared made brief eye contact before Jared broke it to look at the hoodie as Evan watched his face contort into an unrecognizable emotion.