fifteen • 15

- tw -
mentions of self-harm, no depiction

     Evan could hear his phone vibrating in the passenger seat every few minutes as he drove to the hospital, however, he refused to look at it.  He was already on his way to the hospital, and he sure as hell would show up as a patient as a result of a car crash.

     He tapped his fingers on the steering wheel to the tune of a song on the radio as he sang quietly to himself at the stoplight.  He showed his mother's backup ID card to the parking attendant for free parking as he drove to the top floor of the parking garage.

Evan
I'm here.  Where do I bring the coffee?

Mom
I'll be in the waiting room in five

     Evan speed-walked to the waiting room, the coffee warming his hand in the chilly October weather.  He reached the waiting room nearly the same time as his mother, who thanked him relentlessly before reminding him to order dinner.  He turned to leave before crashing into a girl in a volunteer uniform, apologizing profusely.

     "I'm so sorry," the girl gasped as she helped him regain his balance, "Oh, hey, you're my brother's friend.  His only friend, actually.  I'm Zoe Murphy."

     "N-no, I know, " Evan stammered, his face heating up, "Evan."

     "You know?"

      "No, I just mean – I've seen you around.  Jazz b-band, right?"  Zoe nodded her head as she got a call, holding up a finger to Evan, signaling him to wait.

     "What?" she deadpanned, a shocking change in emotion from her previous cheerfulness, "Connor, I can't pick you up, I have a concert tonight...  I don't know what you want me to do!  Call Mom or Dad, I can't be late to the concert, I have a solo first...  You either get a ride from them or you walk home.  I can't do anything about it."

     She argued for a couple more minutes before Connor seemingly gave up and Evan interrupted, "I can, um – the coffee shop is right on my way home.  I can give him a ride."

     "Okay, I'm with Evan and he said he'll give you a ride...  Okay, see you at home.  Bye."  She hung up with a sigh and turned to Evan, "Thank you.  He got a flat tire and I have to run, this concert is a grade, and - just, thank you."

     Evan just smiled as she turned and made her way to the parking garage as he texted Connor.

Evan
I'll be at the coffee shop in, like, ten minutes.  Is that okay?

Connor
yes
god bless you, hansen
i cannot be in the car with larry and my mom has a yoga class tonight
thank you

Evan
It's no problem.

     Evan made his way to the coffee shop, smiling softly at Connor when he got into the car.  It was awkwardly silent for a couple minutes before Connor cleared his throat and spoke up, "So... Zoe, huh?"

     "What?" Evan's eyes widened as he whipped his head around to look at Connor, "No!"

     "Eyes on the road, Ev!" Connor scolded as a car swerved in front of them, "I just figured, you got coffee, which you don't like, and then I called my sister and you were with her.  I just put two and two together."