10. 𝘁𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗯𝗹𝗲𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗲𝗿𝘀

"WHO GAVE THE ORDER TO ATTACK?"

     Strucker's voice belted in the compound, angrily glaring at each of his men as they continued to scatter around the base in a hurry, desperately trying to get onto the field. The snowy mountain was filled with gunshots and explosions between the Avengers and Hydra, and they were slowly closing in as they got deeper into the woods. Hydra was beginning to lose their stand but didn't dare to back down. However, Strucker didn't command the assault, and it infuriated him that someone had gone ahead and proceeded in the attacks.

     A fortress soldier finally answers the man's demand. "Herr, Strucker, it's the Avengers," this caught the Maximoffs' attention, especially Eszter after overhearing the loud conversation. Eszter's eyes shift between the man and Strucker, then to Doctor List, the enhanced creeps from behind Wanda. "They landed in the far woods; the perimeter guard panicked."

     Speaking low enough only for Doctor List's ears, Strucker mutters. "They have to be after the Scepter," then, he directs his attention back to the soldier. "Can we hold them?"

     Baffled, the soldier was appalled. "They're the Avengers!"

     "Deploy the rest of the tanks."

     "Yes, sir," the soldier nods before dismissing himself.

     "Concentrate fire in the weak ones. A hit can make them close ranks. Everything we've accomplished. But we're on the verge of our greatest breakthrough."

     "Then let's show them what we've accomplished," Doctor List urges. "Send out the Maximoffs."

     However, Strucker objects. "It's too soon."

     Eszter glares at the man once she knew there was no moment for them to stretch their legs. It was beginning to become more frustrating the longer they stood there with their bellies showing; Eszter grows tired of this back-and-forth. With every nudge Doctor List gives, Strucker made sure to push them back. For some reason, the head of Hyrda refused to let the twins and Eszter out in action and let them show the Avengers what true power looks like. Instead, they're on timeout.

     "It's what they signed up for," Doctor List argues.

     Low and firm, Strucker plants his foot down. "My men can hold them," however, he knew that wasn't true.

     The twins turned away when Strucker glanced over in their direction, and they played it off as if they weren't listening in on his conversation. However, Eszter never bothered to look away, not even as she and Strucker met eye contact, the enhanced glared at him. Strucker could see the dagger practically shooting from Eszter's eyes, piercing deep into his soul from a distance. The man clamps his mouth shut.

     "He's not going to let us go," Eszter seethes, though her glare softens when she looks up to Wanda and Pietro.

     "I can make him," Wanda suggests.

     But Pietro shook his head. "No. We don't need to make him do anything," he says with a knowing look, eyes shifting between the girls.

     "We will not yield!" Strucker shouts with pride, gaining the soldiers' attention. "The Americans sent their circus freaks to test us. We will send them back in bags. No surrender!"

     "No surrender!"

     Much to Doctor List's confusion, Strucker said something he wasn't expecting. "I am going to surrender."

     Once Strucker and Doctor List were distracted, Pietro turns around and motions for Eszter to hop on his back, and once she does, he picks Wanda up in his arms; without a moment to lose, Pietro speeds off with both of his sisters, leaving no trace behind. They managed to slip away without a hassle; however, Doctor List checks on the kids when he noticed they were no longer there.