My Mask

Slug's pov

     I woke up before Flug. I looked at my paper prince and thought about where I would be if it weren't for him. 

    It may not seem like it, but I'm depressed I always have been. But I've built a mask to keep me safe. Not a physical mask, but instead a mental one. This mask of mine is too protect me from all of my fears and life's sorrows. The person most know me as is not who I am. The mean, sarcastic, anger filed scientist isn't who I am, it's just a persona. I act all mean and tough to keep my pain and sorrow from bleeding out.

      I don't know why I'm so depressed, I've had a decent life. I was the smartest kid in my school, I was never picked on, and I was popular. Everyone wanted to be friends with me. The only bad thing was my parents. They were never around, they had far too many jobs to spend time with me. But if I wanted sometime- which was almost never- they always got it for me. Because my parents where always gone I was forced to learn how to do things myself. 

    Everyday I woke up on my own, went to school on my own, came home on my own, I did my homework on my own, and I would cook my own food. If I was lucky my mom or dad would come home just in time to eat some of the dinner I made for them while it was still warm and give my a hug and kiss goodnight before going to sleep or getting ready for another job.

     Other than that I had everything a kid my age wanted. 

     Maybe I'm like because of Aiden. As I said before, everyone wanted to be my friend, but that didn't mean I wanted everyone to be my friend. I had one good friend growing up. He was all I needed. His name was Aiden. Unlike me he was poor, but he was still very likable. But according to most kids he wasn't. Aiden got bullied a lot. I tried to protect him, but I couldn't. He didn't blame me though. We were friends through thick and thin.

     I've known him forever it seems like. He had pitch black hair, bright green eyes, and very faint freckles on his checks that had only came to be when we were in middle school. He was only a few inches smaller than me, but that didn't seem to phase him. He was awesome. We had met in Kindergarten. He came up to me and asked if I knew what Pikachu was. I remembered it like it was yesterday.

~FlashBack~

    It was my first day of kindergarten. I was nervous and scarred as I hopped out of my dad's truck. He wished me good luck before heading off to work. I watched as his car slowly went down the street and turned to the highway. I sighed and started walking to the school.

    I looked at all of the kids who, just like me, were new to this. I walked into what I assumed to be the classroom. Everyone- besides me- were with their parents talking to either each other or to the teacher. 

     I walked up to her and pulled on the rim of her dress. She looked down at me.

    "Um, am I in the right place?" I asked. It was the first time I had spoken since last night when my mom came home and wished me good dreams before I headed to bed.

     "What's your name sweetie? And where are your parents?" She asked. I gave her a note my mom had given me to give to my teacher. She read the note before giving it back to me.

     "So you are Slug." She said in a happy tone. I nodded. "Well it's great to meet you, too bad your parents couldn't come. Well anyways, yes this is your class. Let me show you your cubby. That is where you will keep your bag and coat during the day."

     "Okay." I wasn't much of a talker when I was young, I'm still not much of a talker. 

    She than lead me to a wall with all of the cubbys and showed me one with my name on it.