9~ Diamonds

Dad made up his mind.

He didn't like Kyle very much.

I rolled my eyes as he ranted about it again on the way to school.

"He should've protected you," Dad claimed as he gripped the steering wheel tighter.

"Dad it's fine."

"No, it's not! That boy knew straying away from the camp was going to be dangerous," he pulled the truck into his designated parking spot, "yet because of his raging hormones, he wanted to get you alone." I whirled on my dad, shoulder slightly aching with the movement, but significantly better than it had originally been.

"Is that what you think? That any boy that hangs out with me is trying to get into pants? Well, I have news for you Dad, I'm 18 and took down two rogues, by myself. I'm more than capable of looking out for myself, and Kyle is just a friend. God, Dad. Sometimes I think you forget that I'm NOT MOM!" I took a deep breath, seeing the hurt in Dad's eyes. I almost backed down from my rage.

Almost.

I got out of the truck, Eric following me and grabbing my bag from me. I was grateful for him, he knew not to say anything when I got mad.

Sam and Kyle were already at my locker, talking in low voices. They stopped once they saw me coming, I guess trying to gauge who I was ticked off at.

"Do we want to know?" Kyle asked as I spun the dial for my locker.

"Probably not," Eric said for me, giving my bag to Sam. "I have to go. My algebra teacher wanted to talk to me before class so I can get caught up." Eric left after kissing my forehead.

He had been clingy ever since what happened on Saturday. In a way, it made me feel better, but at other times I felt smothered. That didn't really help my mood much.

"Ariel," Sam choked out nervously, "I don't want to alarm you or anything, but Jonah is coming over here, and he does not look happy."

I rolled my eyes.

Another great thing to add to my already great morning.

I turned, facing him as he stalked towards me on his long legs. I hated to admit it, but he looked good. He wore a white button up, the sleeves rolled to his elbows, and dark faded jeans. The tattoo on his neck was more visible today, and it kind of looked like Kyle's, with the same curved lines and dark ink, but this one was a straight line with two backward C's, a dot in the middle of each curve.

 The tattoo on his neck was more visible today, and it kind of looked like Kyle's, with the same curved lines and dark ink, but this one was a straight line with two backward C's, a dot in the middle of each curve

I wondered what they meant, but I didn't have time to think about it as he stopped in front of me, eyes hot with an emotion that I couldn't grasp. He didn't look angry, he just looked...

Confused.

His hands drummed against his thighs, gaze flicking between Kyle, Sam, and me.

"Can I help you?" I didn't really mean for it to come out as snarky as it did, but I couldn't help myself. Something about him just brought out that side of me.