18~ Incoming

The whole room was silent. I was at a loss for words.

Which, if you didn't know by now, never happens.

I squeezed Eric's hand like it was my life line. In a way, it was. The atomic bomb Dad just released on us felt catastrophic, like Hiroshima catastrophic. Eric squeezed my hand back, it felt good to know that he needed me as much as I needed him.

I thought I heard someone around me speak, but it was just white noise. My mind was still trying to wrap itself around the concept that Dad, my sweet, loving father, was one of the most powerful and dangerous creatures in the world. And, not only were me and Eric his children, but also descendants of the first of an already powerful species. Along with the fact that we were some kind of hunter/lycan hybrid things because of our mom.

So what in the hell did that actually make us?

"...-ric and Ariel are the first of their kind." Dad's voice brought me back to reality. "My brother and father only ever sired lycan-werwolf or lycan-human hybrids. There has never been a lycan-hunter hybrid, let alone two."

Father and brother? That meant...

"Are they still alive?"

Everyone was shocked that I had spoken up, most of all me. Dad only nodded his head as an answer before I asked my next question.

"So, we have an uncle and a granfather?" Another nod of his head. "Can we meet them?"

"No, absolutely not. No way." Dad was shaking his head vigorously, a little bit of fear in his eyes. What was so bad about metting them? They were our family, the family we didn't even know that we had. "I know what you're going to ask. It's too dangerous, besides, I don't even know where they are. They could be anywhere in the world."

"But," I challeneged, "you could find them."

Dad silently looked to me and then to Eric, as if Eric was going to back him up. I looked to my brother whose eyes were firmly set on the counter in front of us. Dad called his name, and Eric squeezed my hand a little too tightly.

"Eric." His eyes glowed a vibrant violet. "Ricky?"

Without another word, Eric's eyes flashed up to Dad, Eric's breathing heavy, and canines already elongating.

Uh oh.

"Son."

"You're no father of mine." The voice wasn't my little brother's. I mean, it came from him of course, but it was deeper, gravelly, and a lot more primal.

With another blink of my eye, Eric was gone, the front door wide open, and whooshing sound in my ears.

I rushed to the door ready to follow, only to be stopped by a tingling feeling rising up through my arm.

"Let him go." I didn't need to turn around to know that it was Jonah. He was the one to stop. And only one thought about that fact flew through my brain.

He was the one in my way.

With a force I didn't know I possessed, I pulled my arm out, pushed him back, and took off out the door. I heard my name being called behind and people running after me, but I didn't care. I needed to find him. I needed to protect him.

I ran faster than I ever had before, the trees of the forrest quickly surrounding me. I had no idea where he had gone, put a pull behind my bellybutton told me I was heading in the right direction. It was just a feeling, and I knew it was the right one.

The moon cast erie shadows across the forrest floor, lighting up the sky above it. My name being called slowly faded into the background as I sprinted. There was a strange, dull purple glow in front of me, as if I had a flashlight with a colored bulb in it and that was almost out of batteries.

I ignored it. I didn't have time to waste on strange lights. I had to find my baby brother.

A roar tore through the night, stopping me in my tracks. It was the same one that came from downstairs last night.

Eric.

I followed the sound, no longer needing to follow the pulling in my gut. I knew where he was, I could picture it in my mind, and soon that picture was right in front of me.

I skidded to a stop, dirt and rocks spraying in front of me as I looked at the creature on the bank of a river.

It was big, bigger than the Rogue's I had faced in the wood, bigger than any one from Jonah's pack, and bigger than even Jonah himself, a natural born Alpha. Its fur was raven black, head came to well above the lower branches of the trees, paws bigger than my face with claws the looked deadly, and violet eyes.

Bingo.

"Hey," I said casually, he turned to look at me, breath heaving, teeth bared.

"Listen, I know that what Dad did was wrong," Eric slowly prowled towards me, hair raised and shoulders haunched. He wouldn't attack me, even this state, and I knew that in my very soul. "but I know that he was just protecting us. Could you imagine if we had known our entire lives what were? Most likely the second most powerful creatures on the entire planet? It would have changed us, and he didn't want it to." He was closer now, close enough that I could see the moonlight glint off his canines. "It would've divided us, like it did his family." Movement in the forrest caught my attention, but I ignored it. Eric did too, probably too gone in his own bloodlust to realize anything other than me.

"Eric," I pleaded, "come home." With that...

He charged.

I heard a deep voice yell out in protest and even more rustling in the forrest behind me, but I didn't pay it any mind. Eric's breath was hot on my face and he closed in on me. It was strange.

I wasn't scared. I was completely at ease with Eric's fangs flashing dangerously in front of me in that moment, and for some reason, I knew what to do. It was like an unknown force was guiding my actions, like I was a puppet.

The dust settled around us as my hand settled on top of Eric's furry head. He stopped his assault, still breathing heavily. His jaws snapped closed. His eyes firmly on me. That stupid purple light bathing everything in front of me in its glow.

"Come home."