16~ Violet Eyes

Everyone was already in the living room by the time Jonah and I walked in after I grabbed a change of clothes from my room. I rushed over to Dad and Eric, pulling them both into a bear hug.

"I'm so happy you guys are safe." I said into my brother's shoulder.

"Us?" Eric scoffed, "what about you? You can't keep running off and putting yourself in danger like that. I get what happened on the camping trip, that wasn't your fault, but you should've been inside with us, Ariel. Let someone else save the day for once."I smirked, fisting his T-shirt in my hands.

"Now, where's the fun in that?"

Eric chuckled, "The fun is you being alive."

"If you say so."

"Psh, asshole."

"Bitch." At that remark, Eric let go of me, ruffling my hair. "Hey, it's messy enough as it is!" I swatted his hand away.

Someone cleared their throat behind us and caught our attention.

"Anyways," Jonah started, "this Hunter, how bad of shape is he in?"

Alex sighed, "well considering we found her about 20 feet away from the actual site of the carnage while almost bleeding to death, I'd say better than her comrades who are no longer breathing cause they got their throats got ripped out..." Alex veered off and zoned out for a second, leaving all of us in uncomfortable silence.

"Yeah, I think I'd agree..." Kaden confirmed awkwardly. Alex shook out of his daze, continuing on with his explanation.

"It's pretty impressive actually, she seemed to have been stabbed in the neck, and with the amount of blood she lost I'm surprised she was able to stay conscious. Our healers were able to seal up the wound, luckily she wasn't incompatible with their magic, and give her a few pints of O neg. She's a nasty one, bit one of the nurses, cursed all wolves, and has been demanding to see the Alpha."

All eyes turned to Jonah who looked deep in thought.

"If it's the Alpha she wants, it's the Alpha she'll get. Where'd they take her?" Jonah turned to Alex.

"The cells, left wing interrogation room. I'll mind link the guards and let them know you're on your way."

With that, Jonah said thanks to Alex, nodding his head at Kaden to come with him.

A shock of dread shot through me, and I couldn't help but think of the worst. I hadn't killed her, by some grace of God I hadn't killed her. That was both a little relieving, and a lot more stressful. She knew about my mom, and I couldn't sit this one out.

"Hey," Jonah and Kaden stopped at the edge of the stairs, "I'm coming with you." I started towards them and almost made it past before Jonah grabbed my arm.

"Absolutely not." I looked at him, into his bright blue eyes that were stormy with determination. He should know I'm a lot more stubborn than he is at this point.

"Jonah, she knows about my mother, is connected to her. Hell, she even works with her." I gently, but firmly put my hand on top of his, easing his grip on my arm, "I need to find out what she knows."

Jonah still hesitated, struggling between wanting me to have this closure, and trying to do right by me. Finally, he sighed.

"Fine, but only if I'm in the room and after I've talked to her." I nodded, letting him lead me by the hand downstairs.

"Ariel," I heard Dad's voice say before we got to the bottom. I turned to see him worried, an expression I'd seen many times in my day.

"I'll be fine, Dad," I gave him a small smile.