CHAPTER ONE | PART EIGHT

THE NEW KID IN TOWN:
PART EIGHT

The words and things I've heard, the stares of curious eyes I received and the peculiar feeling I felt after my first day on Cross River High, the place where Jayson's little secrets lies.
I really thought that I knew my brother well but, things that surprises me keeps coming and I can't help but to think of it as a big thing as a tenth grader, a student who wants to keep focus on having a new life and move on but, I'm starting to feel that I can't.

***

My first day was finally over and it's not that exciting as my parents expected it to be and I guess, meeting some new friends and people is a good thing.

After settling some things in our lockers, Ginny and Luna said their byes and 'see you later', Leo and I went into the parking lot to get into our cars, and as we walk, Leo gave a brief information about the 'things that Jackson Myers do not know', that's what he calls it.

"So, are you saying that Frederick Van Blake is his real name..." I said.

"Yeah, that's right." Leo nods.

"And he's called Erick Blake...?" I added.

"Yes, that's right." He nods again.

"And you said that he's the top one of being the...?" My face started to frown.

"Cool kid." He smirked.

"And you also stated that it's like uh... The Cool Kids is like an organization or something?"

"No, it's not an organization it's more like a group— they once called it a bond." Leo shrugged his shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah." I nod. "And uh... You say that Jayson is part of it, right?"

"Yup, top three. First is Erick, second is Christian, and third is Jayson, your brother." Leo smirked again.

"Okay. I see." I let it process into my head.

"The Blakes are back in town from a summer vacation so, Erick will throw a party like he always do- because he's totally cool and you are invited— everyone's invited." We reached our cars, he opens the door of his and grins at me. "So, I'll see you later then? We can use my car."

I sighed. "I don't know, Leo. I'm not into parties, you know that, right?"

"What? That's unacceptable cous', come on! Erick throws the best parties and they are good fellas, don't be a dick." He rolls his eyes playfully. "Besides, you know a Blake from third grade, don't 'ya?"

I eyebrows furrowed. "What?"

"What what—? Oh? Ofcourse, it's been a long time so, screw it." He nods and entered his car. I do the same. He started his engine and looked at me for the last time. "I'll come by before eight, 'kay?" I saw the smirked on his face as he drove away.

"W-What?" I sighed in defeat. Fuck it.

***

It was six o'clock when I woke up from my two hour sleep. Well, I can't help it, after my first day in Cross River High, I feel so exhausted and thoughts just keep running into my mind, and then I decided what I need- a sleep.

I went downstairs, yawning and stretching my muscles. I feel so relaxed and kind a refreshed, that's what a sleep can do to me.

"How's your day, kiddo?" I didn't notice dad was in the kitchen, cutting some tomatoes, I guess? He looked at me, smiling, a sign that he's expecting something good.

I pursed my lips. "Well, I uh... Leo introduced me with his friends- A Portman and Stark."

"Oh? Good fellas." He nods.

I went to grab some drink from the fridge but, I decided to go for a coffee. "Yeah, they are."

"I'm happy to know that you're making a progress." Dad shrugged. "I mean, your brother had a lot friends here."

"Yeah, I've heard." I pour the coffee from the coffee pot to a cup and I can already taste it by it's aroma.

This is awkward. My dad and I wasn't a good person for words, that means we're not that people who likely to start a conversation and I understand that it's one of his responsibilities to know things about his child. My Dad is in his forties while, he got that white hairs already but, he actually looks badass because it kind a look like a silver hair. His face doesn't look that old, just matured and he looks fierce with his facial hairs just like Keanuu Reeves. He might look like a badass but, when his eyes looked at you, you will see a puppy eyes that Jayson and I also have- It's from our dad's.

"Uh, Dad?"

"Yes, Jack?" He looked at me while he heats the pan.

Seriously "What are you cooking?"

"This? It's a dish I saw from the internet and— are you hungry? This might take a while so..."

"No, I'm fine. Leo and I are going to a party tonight so, yeah. I'm good." I shrugs, smiling sheepishly.

"That's great but, I've heard that you don't go to parties?"

"And where did you heard that?" I frowned.

"Your mom told me." He chuckled.

"They say it's a good party and Leo and our friends will be there. I'll be fine." I took a sip from my cup and as the warm coffee touched my lips, I felt an itch— the eagerness to ask a question that my dad might or might not know.

"Oh yeah, party is fine... But there's a lot of things is happening." He laughed. "You better use a pro—"

"Did you know the Wayne's?" I immediately regret asking a question like that but, why? Why am I so afraid?

Dad was silent for a moment as he work on the dish he's doing, grabbing some ingredients and so. "Yeah, of course I do." He poured a glass of water in his dish and now it already smells delicious. He turn around and smiled. "Why'd you asked?"

Now I'm the one who's silent. "Nothing." I replied. I took a final sip from my cup, then I realized how fast the time went by. "Leo will be here soon. I'll just... go upstairs and take a bath.

I can see confusion on dad's face. Well, I guess he doesn't know something and it's good. "Okay?" He nods. "My uh— I forgot what it's called but, my dish will be cooked soon, would you mind to eat first or—"

I smiled. "I'll try, besides, Leo won't say no to that."

"Ohoho! He better do." He laughed.

I turn around and walked upstairs, ignoring the thoughts that keep bothering me. I shouldn't care about it— Fuck all of it.